[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] Call for Papers & Demos: IROS'15 Workshop on "Vision-based Control and Navigation of Small, Lightweight UAVs"

Davide Scaramuzza scaramuzza.davide at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 08:26:37 PDT 2015

Call for Papers and Demos

IROS'15 Full-day Workshop on "VISION-BASED CONTROL AND NAVIGATION OF
SMALL, LIGHT-WEIGHT UAVS"

October 2, 2015, Hamburg Congress Center, Hamburg, Germany

Webpage: http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~loiannog/workshopIROS2015uav/

IMPORTANT DATES
===============
July 24: Paper and Demo submission deadline
August 15: Notification of acceptance
October 2: Workshop date

ORGANIZERS
==========
• Giuseppe Loianno, University of Pennsylvania, USA
• Davide Scaramuzza, University of Zurich, Switzerland
• Vijay Kumar, University of Pennsylvania, USA

MOTIVATION
==========
Autonomous micro Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAVs) start to play an
important role in tasks, such as search and rescue, environment
monitoring, security surveillance, transportation, and inspection.
However, to deal with such operations, GPS-based navigation is not
sufficient. Small-size vehicles have to navigate fast and autonomously
in narrow outdoor and indoor environments, in cities, or other cluttered
environments and need to be able to actively explore unknown areas while
avoiding collisions and creating maps. This involves a number of
perception and control challenges that still need to be solved. This
workshop will address UAV navigation solutions in GPS-denied
environments and the algorithmic and software design challenges that
arise in the settings of small-scale, fast navigation in 3Denvironments.

GOAL
====
Our goal is to bring together researchers from academia and industry in
the area of closed-loop control and navigation of UAVs in indoor and
outdoor GPS-denied environments, using vision sensors as the main
sensory modality. The convergence of the consumer electronics industry
and the robotics industry has opened up opportunities and solutions that
did not exist a few years ago. The interest in this area of research is
large and, as such, we expect to have an heterogeneous audience in terms
of expertise and interests. While most previous workshops have attempted
to address the fundamental problems of perception, control, and
communication for aerialvehicles, this workshop will instead focus on
the systems challenges for small-scale, fast vehicles where the size,
weight, and payload constraints only allow lightweight sensors like
cameras, and the operating conditions of high speeds require perception
over longer ranges and shorter timescales.

The workshop will feature peer-reviewed paper presentations and live demos.

TOPICS
======
- Visual Control and estimation
- SLAM
- Sensor fusion
- Motion planning
- Modeling and benchmarking of performances for three-dimensional navigation
- Dynamic visual servo control of aerial vehicles
- Cooperative estimation and control with multiple aerial vehicles
- Field robotics
- Search and rescue robotics

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
=====================
All submitted papers will be reviewed by at least two international
experts (see Program Committee Member list below) on the basis of
technical quality, relevance, significance, and clarity.
We accept extended abstracts (2-4 pages), experiences' reports (2-4
pages), or full research papers (up to 6 pages).
We also encourage submission of live demos and working systems (up to 2
pages).
All workshop papers should be submitted electronically in PDF format
through this website:
http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~loiannog/workshopIROS2015uav/submission.html
All accepted papers will appear on the workshop website.
We are currently exploring the possibility of a journal special issue
for the best contributions at the workshop.

PROGRAM COMMITTEE MEMBERS
Dr. Shaojie Shen, HKSUT
Dr. Roberto Naldi, University of Bologna
Dr. Stephan Weiss, NASA/JPL
Dr. Friedrich Fraundorfer, TU Graz
Mr. Serafin Diaz, Qualcomm Research
Dr. Sebastian Scherer, CMU