[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] Call for Participation to IROS 2015 Workshop on Semantic Policy and Action Representations (Sept. 28)

Yezhou Yang yzyang at cs.umd.edu
Tue Jul 14 07:57:52 PDT 2015

SPAR 2015: Workshop on Semantic Policy and Action Representations

IROS 2015, September 28, Hamburg, Germany

Submission Deadline: August 15, 2015.

Website: http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~yzyang/spar.html

Invited Speakers: (in alphabetical order, not a full list)

Benjamin Kuipers, University of Michigan

Florentin Wörgötter, University of Göttingen

Gordon Cheng, Technische Universität München

Hedvig Kjellström, KTH Royal Institute of Technology

Yiannis Aloimonos, University of Maryland

Yiannis Demiris, Imperial College London

Important Dates:

Submission deadline: August 15

Notification of acceptance: September 07

Camera ready submission: September 15

Workshop day: September 28

Submission:

We encourage 1-2 pages extended abstract of relevant work that has been
previously published, or is to be presented at the main conference. The
accepted abstracts will be posted on the workshop website in a compiled
yearbook and will not appear in the official IEEE proceedings.

All papers must be written in English and submitted in PDF format. Each
extended abstract has a maximum length of 2 pages.
Submissions must follow the IROS'2015 formatting instructions.
Reviewing is single blind, and will be carried out by the workshop chairs.
Please submit your abstract to the workshop official email address
spar.workshop at gmail.com before August 15, 2015.
Accepted abstract is expected to give a poster presentation at the workshop.
Best abstracts are expected to give a 15min talk at the workshop.

Workshop Objectives:

The aim of this one-day workshop is two-fold. First, we will highlight
recent developments in manipulation action semantic representations and
semantic policy generation. We will also compare the state-of-the-art
approaches for generic action and policy representations in both computer
vision and robotics, looking for a common ground to combine assumedly
disparate approaches for autonomous capability and reliability. A key goal
is to reconcile and integrate various bottom-up and top-down approaches for
semantic action perception.

Second, we will motivate our expert speakers to comment on (1) how to link
symbolic representations with sensory experience while being fully grounded
at the signal level to couple perception and execution of actions, and (2)
how to open new avenues to build robots with greater capability and
autonomy. Given these insights, we want to discuss important next steps and
open problems in semantic action perception and policy learning.

This workshop is intended for roboticists working in the areas of
perception, controls, planning, and learning, and who are interested in
improving the reliability and autonomy of robots. We hope to bring together
outstanding researchers and graduate students to discuss current trends,
problems, and opportunities in semantic action (policy) representations,
encouraging communication and common practices among scientists in this
field.

Organisers:

Yezhou Yang, University of Maryland, yzyang at cs.umd.edu

Neil T. Dantam, Rice University, ntd at rice.edu