[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] ICORR 2015 workshop - NEUROMECHANICS & TECHNOLOGY FOR THE WRIST - BEYOND THE WRISTWATCH

Domenico (mimmo) CAMPOLO d.campolo at ntu.edu.sg
Sun Jul 19 01:36:47 PDT 2015

Dear Colleague,
in the context of ICORR 2015
     http://www.icorr2015.enabling-technology-festival.org
we are pleased to invite you to attend our half-day workshop on

NEUROMECHANICS & TECHNOLOGY FOR THE WRIST - BEYOND THE WRISTWATCH

Tuesday August 11 2015, 2-5 pm

 SPEAKERS:
- Jürgen Konczak, University of Minnesota, USA
- Karen Chua, Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH), Singapore
- Marcia O’Malley, Rice University, Houston, USA
- Olivier Lambercy, ETH-Zurich, Switzerland
- Derek Kamper, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (RIC), USA
- Etienne Burdet, Imperial College London, UK
- Domenico Campolo, Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore

ABSTRACT:
Most studies on robot-aided rehabilitation of the upper-limb focus on
elbow/shoulder joints. Although the loss of wrist motor functions can also
be highly disabling, it has received far less attention. There are probably
various reasons for this omission, including the anatomical complexity of
the joint and contrasting schools of thought on whether, e.g. in stroke
patients, it is more beneficial to rehabilitate proximal joints first and
distal ones later, or vice versa.

>From a modelling and anatomical perspective, the wrist joint has 2dof
(flexion/extension; abduction/adduction). Functionally, wrist motion is
often associated with concurrent forearm pronation-supination. That is, if
one considers many manual activities of daily living, the wrist/forearm
joint system can perform like a single 3dof joint. Kinematically, this is
similar to the oculomotor system where the eye can rotate in 3 dof during
visual tracking, but dynamically it is similar to the arm during contact
tasks such as writing with a pen or playing table tennis. Given that usually
several forearm and arm muscles contribute to the joint rotations of the
wrist/forearm complex, and given that many haptic tasks require extensive
processing of online proprioceptive and tactile feedback, understanding
neural sensorimotor control of the wrist is imperative, if one seeks to
design robotic devices that aid or improve human fine motor control in
neurological or orthopedic disease.

>From a design perspective, devices for the wrist pose great challenges in
terms of ergonomics. In fact, most robots and machines designed to interface
with the upper-limb require a handle but, in the case of the wrist, the way
a handle is grasped will have direct consequences on the wrist motion, due
to the number of finger muscles routed through the wrist itself. Being able
to assess muscle activity via surface electromyography also poses challenges
due to the multiplicity of muscles routed through the forearm.

This workshop calls for contributions on the physiology, control of the
wrist, or on the related technology, that address one or some of these
issues. We shall like to hear from biomechanists and physiologists,
roboticists and clinicians all about open challenges in modelling and
control of wrist joints, design and implementation of wrist-specific
devices, training and assessment of wrist motor functions.

PROGRAMME:

14:00 - 14:30
Training wrist fine motor function through robot-aided proprioceptive
training
by        Jürgen Konczak, Ph.D., Dr. rer. nat. habil

Jürgen Konczak is a Full Professor at the University of Minnesota, where he
is the head of the Human Sensorimotor Control Laboratory. Dr. Konczak’s
research focuses on the neurophysiology and the biomechanics of motor
function in clinical and special populations. He has published extensively
in the area of neuromotor control, motor development and motor dysfunction
due to neurological diseases such as ataxia, Parkinson's disease and
dystonia. His research has been funded by the U.S. National Institutes of
Health, the German Science Foundation and the European Commission.
______________
14:30 - 15:00
The clinical rehabilitation technology industry: a rising sun.
by        Karen Chua S.G, MBBS (Singapore), FRCP (Edin), FAMS

CHUA Sui Geok Karen, MBBS (Singapore), FRCP (Edin), FAMS, is currently
senior consultant rehabilitation physician at the Tan Tock Seng Hospital
Rehabilitation Centre and Centre of Advanced Rehabilitation Therapeutics,
TTSH. Her special interests include Neurorehabilitation, Spasticity
management, including Botulinum toxin therapy, neurolytic blocks and
rehabilitation technology. She is a trained medical acupuncturist and senior
clinical lecturer for the undergraduate rehabilitation module of the Masters
of Medicine (Family Medicine) programme. She was awarded the best teacher
award in 2001 followed by the top 10 TTSH teachers awards in 2009 and 2010.
In 2012, Dr Chua received the National Healthcare group (NHG) outstanding
citizen award.
______________
15:00 - 15:30
Robotic Rehabilitation of Forearm and Wrist with the MAHI Exo-II and
RiceWrist
by        Marcia O’Malley, PhD

Marcia O’Malley received the B.S. degree in mechanical engineering from
Purdue University in 1996, and the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in mechanical
engineering from Vanderbilt University in 1999 and 2001, respectively.  She
is currently Professor of Mechanical Engineering and of Computer Science at
Rice University and directs the Mechatronics and Haptic Interfaces Lab. She
is an Adjunct Associate Professor in the Departments of Physical Medicine
and Rehabilitation at both Baylor College of Medicine and the University of
Texas Medical School at Houston. Additionally, she is the Director of
Rehabilitation Engineering at TIRR-Memorial Hermann Hospital, and is a
co-founder of Houston Medical Robotics, Inc. Her research addresses issues
that arise when humans physically interact with robotic systems, with a
focus on training and rehabilitation in virtual environments. In 2008, she
received the George R. Brown Award for Superior Teaching at Rice University.
O’Malley is a 2004 ONR Young Investigator and the recipient of the NSF
CAREER Award in 2005. She is a Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical
Engineers, and currently serves on the editorial board for the ASME Journal
of Mechanisms and Robotics
______________
15:30 - 16:00
Interdependence of wrist and digit control in finger force generation
by        Olivier Lambercy, PhD,
and        Derek Kamper, PhD

Olivier Lambercy received the PhD degree in mechanical engineering from the
National University of Singapore in 2009, working on the design, development
and clinical validation of robotic devices for forearm, hand and finger
rehabilitation. In 2009 he joined the Rehabilitation Engineering Lab at ETH
Zurich as a Research Associate. His research interests are in medical and
rehabilitation robotics, human motor control and human-machine interaction.

Derek Kamper, Ph.D., is an Associate Professor in the Department of
Biomedical Engineering at the Illinois Institute of Technology and a
Research Scientist in the Sensorimotor Performance Program at the
Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago.  His research focuses on motor control
of the hand and its rehabilitation following stroke.
______________
16:00 - 16:30
fMRI compatible wrist interfaces to investigate sensorimotor control in
preterm babies and adults
by        Etienne Burdet, PhD

Etienne Burdet is Professor of Human Robotics at The Imperial College of
Science, Technology and Medicine. He is also a visiting Professor at
Université Paris VI and at University College London. His group develops an
integrative approach of neuroscience and robotics to: i) investigate human
motor control, and ii) design efficient systems for training and
rehabilitation, which are tested in clinical trials.
______________
16:30 - 17:00
Kinematics of the Human Wrist: from motor synergies to ergonomic
exoskeletons
by        Domenico Campolo, PhD

Domenico Campolo received a Ph.D. degree in MicroEngineering from the Scuola
Superiore Sant’Anna, Pisa, Italy. Since 2009, he has been an Assistant
Professor with the School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Nanyang
Technological University, Singapore. His research interests focus on human
motor strategies of the upper limb / wrist, especially in presence of
redundant tasks, both from a computational and experimental perspective.
Applications range from capturing motor skills in ‘experts’ (surgeons,
athletes, etc…) to training of motor functions in impaired subjects.

-----
Domenico (mimmo) CAMPOLO (Assist Prof)
School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
Nanyang Technological University
50 Nanyang Avenue, Singapore 639798

Tel:    +65 6790 5610 [GMT+8h]
Fax:    +65 6792 4062