[robotics-worldwide] [news] One-day conference on Technology for Sustainable Development at the UN in New York on July 8, 2015

Gayathri Manikutty gayathrim at am.amrita.edu
Mon Jun 8 09:06:26 PDT 2015

It is with great pleasure that we invite you for a one-day conference on Technology for Sustainable Development co-hosted by the United Nations and Amrita University at the UN in New York on July 8th, 2015. Our Chancellor, Mata Amritanandamayi (Amma), will deliver the keynote address. We are also expecting senior UN officials to speak at the event.

The United Nations Academic Impact (UNAI) is a global initiative that aligns institutions of higher education with the United Nations in furthering the realization of the purposes and mandate of the UN through activities and research in a shared culture of intellectual social responsibility. This conference is the first session in a new series entitled “Skills and Technology Accelerating Rapid Transformation” (UNAI-START).

Through a series of presentations, panel discussions, Q & A sessions and a lunch attended by all, we will explore ways in which we can work together to make the UN’s new Sustainable Development Goals a reality through innovation in emerging technologies.

The UNAI has invited Amrita University to present cutting-edge research projects undertaken with collaborators from universities around the world. Spanning a diverse array of disciplines including disaster management, education and healthcare, these research projects share a single goal: to harness the power of modern technology to make a difference in the lives of people in need.

We will also launch a new UNAI/Amrita University online portal for researchers around the world who are innovating Technology for Sustainable Development as a follow-up to this conference. We look forward to your active participation in initiating an exciting new level of collaboration between researchers all over the world.

We would be so honored if you would join us as an esteemed member of the audience on this momentous occasion. As space is limited, RSVP is required for attendance. If you are planning to attend, please click this link to RSVP as soon as possible: goo.gl/forms/eZhSaMuj3U

Sincerely,

Dr. P. Venkat Rangan

Vice Chancellor, Amrita University

Event Highlights

Opening Address by Senior UN Official
Keynote Address by Amrita University Chancellor, Mata Amritanandamayi(Amma)
Inauguration of Portal for Dialogue and Collaboration in Innovating
Technology for Sustainable Development

Presentations Based on Technology for Sustainable Development (including case studies of deployment of the research)

-  Nanotechnology Enabled Rapid Transformation - Health, Energy, Water  by Dr Shantikumar Nair, Professor and Director, Amrita Centre for Nanosciences and Molecular Medicine, Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham.Kochi, Kerala, India
- Nanovaccines: a novel low cost therapeutic alternative for the treatment of immune disorders - Professor Claude C.A. Bernard, Head, Multiple Sclerosis Research Group Australian Regenerative Medicine Institute, Monash University, Clayton Victoria 3800 Australia
- Strategies to Erase the Nanotechnology Divide - Professor Seeram Ramakrishna, FREng,  Director of Center for Nanofibers & Nanotechnology, and Professor of Mechanical Engineering at the National University of Singapore.

- Human-Computer Interaction for Skill Training
Dr. Ken Salisbury, Stanford University
- Technological innovation -- Solutions to Challenges the World is Facing
Dr. Silvia Hostettler, EPFL, Switzerland
- Experiential Learning through Live-in-Labs
Professor Bhavani Rao, Amrita University

- Wireless Technologies for Disaster Management
Dr. Maarten van Steen, University of Twente, Amsterdam
Dr. Maneesha Ramesh, Amrita University

- Harnessing Today's Waste for a Better Tomorrow
Dr. Tai-Ping Fan, Cambridge University
Dr. Gillian Murphy, Cambridge University
Dr. Hideaki Nagase, Oxford University
Dr. Bipin Nair, Amrita University

Conclusions and Closure
UN Official
Bishop Marcelo Sanchez Sorondo, Chancellor, Pontifical Academy of
Sciences and Pontifical Academy of Social Sciences, Vatican

-- Disclaimer:     The information transmitted in this email, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.Any views expressed in any message are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of Amrita University. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.