[robotics-worldwide] [news] : Pre-registration deadline: June 11, 2015: TODAY: CFP: IEEE-RAS Summer School on Experimental Methodology, Performance Evaluation and Benchmarking in Robotics

Fabio Bonsignorio fabio.bonsignorio at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 03:25:15 PDT 2015

Dear All,

This is a kind reminder that the pre-registration deadline for  the IEEE
RAS Summer School on Experimental Methodology, Performance Evaluation and
Benchmarking in Robotics is approaching quickly.

It is of fundamental importance that the next generation of researchers
 learns good experimental, performance evaluation and benchmarking methods
as part of their technical education.
Participants will learn how to implement approaches with exhaustive
experimental methodology and apply appropriate benchmarking procedures to
compare the actual practical results with reference to standard accepted
procedures; how experimental results can be replicable and refutable on the
one hand, and quantitatively comparable according to community-endorsed
metrics, on the other hand.

http://ieee-raspebras2015.org/
September 14-18, 2015
Intur Bonaire Hotel, Benicassim, Spain

More details here below

All the best
Fabio, Angel and co.

**********

Call for Participation
IEEE RAS Summer School on
Experimental Methodology, Performance Evaluation and Benchmarking in
Robotics

IEEE RAS PEBRAS 2015 Summer School

http://ieee-raspebras2015.org/

September 14-18, 2015
Intur Bonaire Hotel, Benicassim, Spain

Organized by
IEEE-RAS Technical Committee on
Performance Evaluation & Benchmarking of
Robotic and Automation Systems (TC PEBRAS)

Partial funding provided by the IEEE Robotics & Automation Society

***** Rationale

The IEEE-RAS Technical Committee PEBRAS organizes a Summer School as part
of the IEEE RAS Technical Education Program. As the complexity of robotic
and intelligent systems grows, it is more and more necessary to adhere to
sound experimental approaches and benchmarking procedures. It is of
fundamental importance that the next generation learns good experimental,

**** Objectives. Technical and scientific growth expected from participants

Participants will learn how to implement approaches with exhaustive
experimental methodology and apply appropriate benchmarking procedures to
compare the actual practical results with reference to standard accepted
procedures; how experimental results can be replicable and refutable on the
one hand, and quantitatively comparable according to community-endorsed
metrics, on the other hand. At the end, a student should be able to provide
an educated response to the following questions:
- How research should be performed and reported in order to allow result
replications
- How should competitions be designed in order to maximize their
contribution to robotics research and the industrial exploitation of results
- To which extent and for measuring which functionalities and capabilities
are benchmarks useful and possible
- Which balance of result replication, benchmarking, challenges and
competitions would allow a more objective evaluation of results and
consequent objective assessment of the state of the art in the various
subfields of their domain of research

**** Program
The school will take place for a period of one week from Monday to Friday
(Sept 14-18, 2014).
The Program will consist of morning lectures and afternoon experimental
sessions. There will be panel discussions and complementary activities such
as informal discussions and poster presentations.

**** Venue
The school will take place in a cosy hotel at Benicassim on the
Mediterranean coast of Spain.
http://www.hotelinturbonaire.es/en

**** Confirmed lecturers

- Pedro Lima (Instituto Superior Técnico, Portugal)
- Gurvinder Virk (Univ. of Gävle & KTH, Sweden)
- Daniele Nardi (Sapienza University of Rome, Italy)
- Matteo Matteucci (Politecnico di Milano, Italy)
- Maria Gini (University of Minnesota, USA)
- Olivier Michel (Cyberbotics Ltd., Switzerland)
- Adriana Tapus (ENSTA-ParisTech, France)
- Vincent C. Müller (Amerikaniko Kollegio Anatolia, Greece)
- Holly Yanco (University of Massachusetts-Lowell, USA)
- John Hallam (University of Southern Denmark)
- Fabio Bonsignorio (Scuola Superiore S. Anna, Italy)

**** Registration
Attendance is limited to 50 students. Pre-registration is neccessary by
providing a recommendation letter, research statement and vita summary.
Accepted applicants will be invited to register.

Registration fee, covering tuition, course material, accommodation and
meals, is 700 euros for IEEE members.

**** Organization

General Chair
Angel P. del Pobil (IEEE-RAS TC PEBRAS, Universitat Jaume I, Spain)

General co-Chair
Fabio Bonsignorio (IEEE-RAS TC PEBRAS, The BioRobotics Institute, Scuola
Superiore S. Anna and Heron Robots srl)

Program Chairs
Elena Messina (IEEE-RAS TC PEBRAS, NIST, USA)
John Hallam (University of Southern Denmark)
Enric Cervera (Universitat Jaume I, Spain)

Organization Chair
Ester Martinez-Martin (Universitat Jaume I, Spain)

Secretariat
Begona Andres (FUE, Spain)

**** For further information and pre-registration please visit the website:

http://ieee-raspebras2015.org/

**** Contact
Email: ieee.raspebras2015 at gmail.com
Begona Andres
Phone: +34 964 38 72 22
Fax: +34 964 38 70 10

--

Fabio P. Bonsignorio

IEEE Senior Member

Professor
Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna, Pisa, Italy
The BioRobotics Institute
viale Rinaldo Piaggio 34, 56025 Pontedera (Pisa)
http://sssa.bioroboticsinstitute.it

Ceo
Heron Robots s.r.l.
Via R.Ceccardi 1/18