[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Postdoctoral Positions, Self-Organizing Systems Research, Harvard

Radhika Nagpal rad at eecs.harvard.edu
Thu Jun 25 07:03:16 PDT 2015

The Self-Organizing Systems Research Group at Harvard University is currently seeking applicants for postdoctoral research positions in bio-inspired robotics and collective intelligence. Our lab is interested in collective behavior, including both the development of new robot swarm systems and the study of natural swarm systems. Examples of recent work include the Kilobot thousand-robot swarm (Science, 8/2014) and the TERMES collective construction robots (Science, 2/2014). We are continuing to develop new systems and looking for creative and outstanding members to join our team. We currently have two postdoctoral positions open.

1. Novel Robot Swarms:
We are looking for new postdoctoral fellows to join our team to develop novel multi-robot systems. Areas of interest include self-assembling robot swarms, soft robotics, underwater robots, and modular robots. Applicants should have a background in electrical or mechanical engineering or a related field, and have a demonstrated record of robot hardware development.

2. Insect Collective Behavior:
We are looking for new postdoctoral fellows to join our project to model collective behavior and decision-making in mound-building termites, in order to understand how complex global behavior arises from individual actions and to inspire new robotic systems. This project is joint with Prof. J.S. Turner (SUNY-ESF) and will involve field experiments in Namibia. Applicants should have a background in experimental biology/ecology or computational biology.

Both postdoctoral positions are fully funded for two years. Our lab is committed to having a diverse, interdisciplinary, team-oriented, and fun environment. For more about our lab's work see http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/ssr/

How to apply:
Applications, assembled as single pdf files, should contain a cover letter briefly describing candidate's background and specific research interests, a full CV with a publication list, expected PhD completion date, and the names and contact information for three references who might be contacted for recommendations. Applications should be sent to  faculty_postdocs @ wyss. harvard.edu using the subject line “SWARM APPLICATION.”  We strongly suggest sending applications before Aug 1 for full consideration; however, we will continue to look at applications until the positions are filled.  See http://wyss.harvard.edu/viewpage/191/postdoctoral-positions for more details. Harvard University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and applications from women and minority candidates are strongly encouraged.

Radhika Nagpal and Justin Werfel
Self-Organizing Systems Research Group, SEAS, Harvard
Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering, Harvard
Cambridge, MA, USA