[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Stealth startup: first employee position, computer vision wizard wanted (Mountain View, CA)

Anna-Katrina Shedletsky anna at dfxmachina.com
Tue Jun 30 18:26:31 PDT 2015

Computer Vision Software Engineer

We are a funded stealth mode automation and data analytics startup with ex-Apple founders.  As a first employee, you will join our dynamic team working on advanced manufacturing systems that will disrupt the way consumer electronics, medical devices, and other everyday products are made, and define the factories of the future.  We take simple custom hardware, interesting vision problems, and heavy data analytics to deliver significantly compressed hardware development schedules for our customers.  Shorter schedules are a game changer for small and big hardware development companies alike.

Responsibilities:
- develop computer vision and tracking algorithms from the ground up for a variety of functions and applications
- develop “flexible” algorithms that can be tolerant to changes in color/surface finish of parts in view
- develop machine learning algorithms for “error-state detection”
- be a holistic debugger
- leverage open source code/development, but knows when and where to break off and develop from the ground up
- write simulation and development environment tools to support development off-system / out-of-factory
- configuring, testing, and supporting machines during pilot and factory runs

Skills:
- solid fundamentals in computer vision methods and concepts
- native level fluency in a C-based programming language
- practical knowledge of machine learning, pattern recognition, Bayesian filtering, information theory, and 3D geometry
- gets stuff done, has entrepreneurial spirit, can be scrappy (we will not be using $14K cameras)
- diagnostic and debugging magician
- finds challenges invigorating and knows how to become an expert in something new in a few days
- appetite for sharing technical knowledge with other engineers and the excellent communication skills to do it
- good at explaining, good at thinking out loud, difficult to frustrate, and fun to work with

Education/Experience:
- 2-5 years in a computer vision developer role, with a proven track-record of “ground-up”, scalable, reliable software implementation
- Strong educational background in computer science with a focus on computer vision
- Competence with computer vision libraries such as OpenCV, Matlab, and PCL
- Peripheral experience with mechatronics, robotics, or controls is a plus

Applicant must be able to work in Mountain View, CA.
Applicant must be authorized to work in the United States.  Due to the urgency around this position, we cannot sponsor H1B visas.  We are willing to transfer existing H1Bs.

Contact: Anna Shedletsky, anna at dfxmachina.com <mailto:anna at dfxmachina.com>