[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] CFP: Workshop on Learning for Visual and Tactile Interaction at RSS 2015

Tucker Hermans hermans at ias.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Mar 13 09:39:39 PDT 2015

Call for Papers: RSS 2015 Workshop: Learning for Visual and Tactile
Interaction
Date: July 16 or 17, Exact Date TBD.

For full details please see:
http://www.ausy.tu-darmstadt.de/Workshops/RSS2015VisualTactileInteraction

Description

In order for robots to be deployed in real-world homes, flexible
manufacturing sites, and dangerous environments, they must be endowed with
sophisticated interaction and manipulation capabilities, robust to the
uncertainty of the real-world. A newly available class of reliable tactile
sensors and affordable 3D cameras needs to be leveraged to accomplish this
goal. Both tactile and visual sensing provide noisy, high-dimensional
signals which must be used for control and planning algorithms to
competently interact with the world. Learning serves as a key tool in
dealing with such sensory information. Applications of such learning have
shown how robots can autonomously discover objects, interactively detect
object in clutter, improve manipulation skills, and generalize these skills
to previously unseen objects.

However, the methods used have been quite disparate in these many different
application challenges and different interaction domains have not yet
shared their approaches among each other. A workshop is needed to bring
experts together that can shed light on the most promising of these
competing directions. Thus, we propose a workshop to focus on how learning
can best be used to improve robot interaction based on visual and tactile
sensing. While primarily concerned with manipulation, we define interaction
to be quite broad here, including haptics in robotic surgery, human-robot
physical interaction, and active object exploration for mapping. We seek to
invite speakers with expertise in tactile sensing, visual perception, and
robot learning to give differing viewpoints on the problem of learning for
interaction. We will couple these talks with interactive presentations of
submitted recent research in the area and also add poster spotlights
between the talks. We will engage the invited speakers and contributing
researchers in a structured debate to conclude the workshop. In order to
foster focused discussion we will require both poster presenters and
invited speakers to define relevant questions prior to the workshop and
collect new questions throughout the day.
Call for Papers

We seek submission of extended abstracts showing recent, novel research on
the topic of vision and tactile sensing for manipulation.We are
specifically interested in how learning methods can be used to improve the
use of these sensors in complicated environments. Papers should be no
longer than 2 pages and submitted by 25 May 2015 for review. Submit papers
by email to VisualTactileLearning at gmail.com .
Potential Speakers

   - Rod Grupen, UMass Amherst
   - Rob Platt, Northeastern University
   - Veronica Santos, UCLA
   - Ashutosh Saxena, Cornell University
   - Oliver Brock, TU Berlin
   - Stefan Schaal, USC
   - Pieter Abbeel, UC Berkeley
   - Gregory Hager, Johns Hopkins University
   - Ben Kuipers, University of Michigan

-Tucker
http://www.ias.tu-darmstadt.de/Team/TuckerHermans