[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] PhD Positions at the University of Edinburgh: Visual Navigation and Motion Planning for humanoid robotics
maurice.fallon at ed.ac.uk
Mon Mar 16 05:05:43 PDT 2015
****************** PhD Positions at the University of Edinburgh
Multiple PhD positions are available in Visual Navigation and Motion
Planning for humanoid robotics:
- Start date and duration: September 2015, 4 years.
- Location: University of Edinburgh
- Programme: EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Robotics and
Autonomous Systems, with Heriot Watt University
- Deadline for submission: April 17, 2015
- Fully funded studentships covering tuition fees and maintenance at
prevailing EPSRC rates.
- Research will be focused on semi-autonomous visual manipulation. This
will involve the development of multi-sensor Simultaneous
Localization And Mapping (SLAM) algorithms for manipulation as well
as whole-body motion planning, with a focus towards humanoid systems.
- Application of the developed methods will be on our state-of-the-art
humanoid platform: the NASA Valkyrie. The project will involve
NASA's Johnson Space Center. Internship at a NASA-JSC is a
possibility for excellent candidates.
- The first year of the programme will involve taught courses leading to
a Masters degree. This will be followed by 3 years focusing on your own
- Access to our world class infrastructure, enhanced through a recent
£6.1m EPSRC capital grant.
The candidate will hold a relevant degree (Computer Science or
Engineering) as well as good programming skills and a strong
Experience in Robotics and Computer Vision is a plus.
She/he must be highly motivated and must have:
- experience in writing scientific reports
- excellent communication skills in English (both writing and speaking)
- good attitude towards team working in an international environment.
- The candidate will work under the direct supervision of Dr. Maurice
Fallon and Prof. Sethu Vijayakumar
- Interested applicants are encouraged to directly contact Dr. Fallon
(maurice.fallon at ed.ac.uk) before applying.
- Additional information:
- One additional 4 year industrial studentship in collaboration with
Costain with an industrial internship (minimum 3 months) is also available.
How to Apply:
Application should be made before April 17, 2015, through the on-line
Immediate applications are recommended as interview and allocation are
made on a rolling basis.
The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.
More information about the robotics-worldwide