[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] Call for Contributions - ICRA 2015 Workshop on Asymmetry in Distributed Robotics

Ryan Williams rkwillia at usc.edu
Fri Mar 13 12:48:23 PDT 2015

CALL FOR CONTRIBUTIONS for the Interactive Poster Session

ICRA 2015 Workshop:
"Taxonomies of Interconnected Systems: Asymmetric Interactions in Distributed Robotics"
Tuesday, May 26th 2015, 8:30am-12:00pm, Seattle, USA
http://asimov.usc.edu/~rkwillia/ws/icra15/

IMPORTANT DATES:

Poster abstract submission: April 15th, 2015
Notification of acceptance: May 1st, 2015

ABSTRACT:

Interconnected robotic systems have become the recent focus of intense investigation, particularly in the context of autonomous collaboration (such as in multi-robot or sensor systems), affording fundamental advantages in adaptability, scalability, and efficiency compared to classical single-agent solutions. The study of interconnected systems is remarkably complex and highly susceptible to fragmentation especially due to the diversity of the research communities involved.  Both a high level view of the fundamental topics that drive interconnected systems, and a fine-grained understanding of each topic is required to truly make progress in the field, and to provide an accessible starting point to new research. An effective approach to attain such goals would be to construct a taxonomy of interconnected systems. To this end, we have initiated a series of workshops, each addressing specific subareas at the forefront of interconnected system research. For each of these research topics, our goal is to identify those properties that underlie crucial, and yet common, aspects of theory and application. We believe that such a taxonomic approach may lead towards an understanding of the current open problems in each subarea, the relationships between subareas, ultimately yielding a roadmap for new researchers connecting theory and application.

In this workshop, we will focus on asymmetry in multi-robot systems.  While the symmetry assumption alleviates many issues in system analyses and allows for sound and accessible theoretical conclusions, such an assumption lacks the power to yield insight into realistic systems, where asymmetries in communication, mobility, and sensing are far too often present.  Further, when we consider issues such as unforeseen failures, asymmetries in the environments where sensing occurs, adversarial or competitive settings, etc., the necessity of eliminating the assumption of symmetry becomes clear. In the context of a taxonomy, asymmetry (or directedness) also represents a natural classification of interconnected systems, and an important topic in the series. Therefore, we hope that such a taxonomic view will aid in capturing the asymmetric necessities of real-world applications, moving us towards increasingly realistic multi-robot systems.

At a high level, asymmetry may impact the well-behavedness of a collaborative system, making modeling and analysis a difficult task.  In this context, we broadly welcome contributions on the general lack of equivalence among components of collaborative systems, the inherent difficulties, and the novel solutions that arise.

PROGRAM:

For details refer to: http://asimov.usc.edu/~rkwillia/ws/icra15/program.html

SUBMISSION:

Authors are required to submit Extended Abstracts (1-2 pages) in PDF format, following the standard ICRA style for the layout, to be presented in a poster format. Contributions should be sent to rkwillia at usc.edu<mailto:rkwillia at usc.edu> by April 15th, 2015. All contributions will undergo a review by the organizers.

ORGANIZERS:

Ryan K. Williams, University of Southern California
Andrea Gasparri, Roma Tre University, Italy
Gaurav Sukhatme, University of Southern California