[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Postdoctoral position in robotics

Tony Dodd t.j.dodd at sheffield.ac.uk
Wed Mar 11 08:05:14 PDT 2015

Postdoctoral position in robotics at The University of Sheffield, UK

http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/AKR726/research-associate-in-robotics/

Automatic Control and Systems Engineering is one of the largest
department devoted to this subject area in the UK and Europe. It
comprises 27 academic staff, 49 research staff, and nearly 400 taught
and research students. We are an internationally leading research
department and have a vibrant research culture spanning Systems and
Control Theory. Our research spans diverse and challenging applications
including healthcare, manufacturing, aerospace, autonomous systems,
energy and space science. We approach these through a focus on generic
theoretical developments in complex systems analysis, modelling, control
and computational intelligence that underpin strategic,
multi-disciplinary collaborations with leading groups in application areas.

We are seeking to appoint an outstanding Research Associate to undertake
work as part of the prestigious multi-million pound, multi-institute,
EPSRC funded “Assessing the Underworld” project. The aim of the
University of Sheffield contribution to this project is to develop a
novel pipe inspection robot that will accurately map, and assess the
condition of small scale water distribution pipes. This role will focus on:

- Developing an agile robotic device suitable for insertion into small
scale water distribution pipes.
- Design and integration of appropriate sensors onto the robot for
localisation, mapping and inspection.
- Developing on-board software for control and sensing and off board
software for localisation and mapping.

The successful candidate will be an integral part of and will play a
leading role in a multi-disciplinary group (from the Departments of
Automatic Control and Systems Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and
Civil and Structural Engineering) developing the inspection robot and
associated sensors.

Candidates should have widespread experience of mechatronic design (or
related experience) including control, sensors and embedded systems.
They must have excellent communication skills and the ability to
interact with a wide range of people within the university, industry and
the wider project. They will be able to develop creative solutions
subject to a variety of constraints, have experience of successfully
applying project management approaches and be able to report and present
work to a high standard. A PhD (or close to completion) in control,
electronics, mechatronics or a closely aligned discipline (or equivalent
experience) is essential.

--
Dr Tony Dodd
Director of Learning and Teaching