[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] postdoc positions in the Harvard Microrobotics Lab

Rob Wood rjwood at eecs.harvard.edu
Mon Mar 16 17:56:52 PDT 2015

The Harvard Microrobotics Lab is seeking several postdoctoral researcher positions. Please see below for details and application instructions.

1.     The exploration of distributed sensory systems for high-speed locomotion of small-scale bioinspired robots.

Specifically, goals include the development of low-power, millimeter-scale proprioceptive sensors and integrating them – physically as well as integrated with the on-board control system – within our insect-scale robot platforms. We aim to answer fundamental questions about what sensor information, either rich or minimalistic, is required to perform robust, dynamic high-speed locomotion over a variety of terrain for several typical environments and tasks and how these sensor modalities are influenced by the small scale of the robots. Applicants should have a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Bioengineering, or a related field.

2.     Advanced additive manufacturing: Advancing and combining our additive manufacturing methods to enable new functions for micro and meso-scale devices and robots.

Specifically, goals include combining layered/laminated/folded approaches with multi-material 3D printing and leveraging the resulting hybrid process for the creation of new disruptive monolithic electromechanical systems with feature sizes ranging from micrometer to several centimeters. An additional goal is the development of functional printed materials (e.g., with tuned anisotropic material or electrical properties or tuned surface properties for adhesion to biological tissues). We envision applications in the areas of small-scale robotics and medical devices. Applicants should have a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Materials Science, or a related field.

3.     Control strategies for novel surgical systems.

Specifically, we are targeting several candidate surgical tools to develop and test in bench top ex vivo and animal studies. The responsibilities for this position include the design of these tests, assisting other team members with development of the surgical tools, and design and implementation of planning and control strategies for real or simulated procedures. Applicants should have a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Bioengineering, or a related field. Applicants should also have experience with testing and evaluating biomedical devices in animal trials or clinical settings.

4.     Soft robotics: Active soft materials for applications to autonomous soft robots and wearable robots.

Specifically, we seek new approaches to soft actuators that compare to the performance of rigid actuators (e.g., electromagnetic motors) in terms of energy density and efficiency and overcome some of the practical challenges with existing pneumatic or electroactive polymer soft actuators. This will entail a highly experimental approach, leveraging our ability to create multi-scale, multi-material soft composite devices. Applicants should have a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Materials Science, or a related field.

Applicants should send a cover letter briefly describing their background and career plans, a CV, and the names and contact information for at least three references. Please clearly indicate which position you are applying to. The positions are open immediately (6/1/15) and guaranteed for a year with a possible second year extension. These documents should be submitted as pdf attachments to Prof. Wood: rjwood at seas.harvard.edu <mailto:rjwood at seas.harvard.edu>
Harvard University is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.

For more information, see: http://micro.seas.harvard.edu/opportunities.html <http://micro.seas.harvard.edu/opportunities.html>
Robert Wood
Charles River Professor
	of Engineering and