[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] ICRA'15 WS: Robotics and Automation Technologies for Humanitarian Applications (RATHA) Tuesday May 26, 2015

Raj Madhavan madhavan.ieeeras at gmail.com
Sun May 3 08:21:49 PDT 2015

Are you interested in how technology can improve the quality of life for
humanity? What robotics and automation technologies are ready to be
deployed and what the missing gaps are in the state-of-the-art? How can
humanitarian agencies, technologists, and end-users can work together to
make a difference in people's lives and make this world a better place
for all of us? If the answer is yes, then you should plan to attend our
WS 'Robotics and Automation Technologies for Humanitarian Applications:
Where we are and where we can be' being held at ICRA on Tuesday May 26th.

In this workshop, we bring together researchers, practitioners,
humanitarian relief workers, responders, analysts from the field and
humanitarian aid agencies, and foundations from several countries to
understand the current and future role R&A technologies play in
alleviating suffering of humanity in times of need. The workshop allows
for the discussion and identification of the use of R&A technologies
applied to humanitarian efforts and gaps in dealing with natural
calamities and man-made disasters. Emphasis is being placed on important
factors that need to be taken into consideration such as environmental,
cultural, structural, political and socio-economic and resource
constraints while developing R&A solutions that can be developed,
deployed, and sustained. The workshop, thus, consists of presentations
of research, first-hand experiences and field knowledge, both as invited
and regular talks addressing the monitoring (e.g. early warning
preventative systems) and/or the support of post-disaster and emergency
relief operations (e.g., search and rescue) of several humanitarian
areas from different ends of the technological spectrum and end-users.

See the WS website http://www.isr.uc.pt/RATHA2015 for more details and
http://www.isr.uc.pt/RATHA2015/Speakers.html for the list of speakers.
Hope to see you in Seattle!

Raj, Edson, and Lino