[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] RSS Human-Robot Handover Workshop

Rachid Alami Rachid.Alami at laas.fr
Wed May 13 01:49:57 PDT 2015

                                    Call for Participation

                          Human-Robot Handover Workshop
				July 17, 2015, Rome, Italy
				http://how.sciencesconf.org/

        (in conjunction with RSS 2015: http://www.roboticsconference.org/)

The Human-Robot Handover Workshop is a full-day workshop held in
conjunction with 2015 Robotics: Science and Systems Conference (RSS),
in Rome (Italy) on July 17. This workshop aims to gather the
multi-disciplinary community of researchers who have contributed to
the existing body of work on the topic and motivate researchers with
expertise in related areas (perception, motion planning) to work on
this unique human-robot interaction problem.

Handing-over objects to people (or taking objects from them) is going
to be a crucial ability for assistive robots as they become more and
more integrated in the real world. The effortless and seamless nature
of human-human hand-overs set a high standard for human-robot
hand-overs. Submission related to any of key challenges robots need to
tackle to perform this task is welcome including:

- object manipulation and motion planning in the vicinity of humans,
- hand-over configuration computation,
- coordination/synchronization/timing (before, during, and after the hand-over),
- motion dynamics during the execution
- legibility of motion,
- compliant force-position control,
- perception of humans and activity recognition,
- social cues and norms that need to be considered,
- intent communication and signaling (gaze).

Invited Speakers
*****************
Katsu Yamane, Disney Research, http://www.disneyresearch.com/people/katsu-yamane/
Mary Ellen Foster, Heriot-Watt University, http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/~mef3/
Stefan Glasauer, Bernstein Center for Computational Neuroscience, http://www.bccn-munich.de/people/stefan-glasauer

Panels
********

1) User study on hand-over (moderator Maya Cakmak)
  In this panel, we will discuss our experiences around trying to setup and to conduct user study on hand-over. What kind of sensors we used? What kind of social signals need to be taken into account? What are the results (the expected one and the real one)? could we imagine the ideal setup for this kind of study? What have been already done? what needs to be study?

2) Algorithmic issues around hand-over (moderator Siddhartha Srinivasa)
  In this panel, we will discuss on what means to take the human in the loop in motion planning. Key challenges are object manipulation  and  motion  planning in the vicinity of humans, hand-over configuration computation, coordination/synchronization/timing (before, during, and after the hand-over), motion dynamics during the execution and legibility of motion, compliant force-position control, perception of humans and activity recognition, social cues and norms that need to be considered, and intent communication and signaling (gaze).

Organizers
Rachid Alami, Senior researcher, CNRS, LAAS
Maya Cakmak, Assistant Professor, University of Washington, Computer Science and Engineering
Aurélie Clodic, Research Engineer, CNRS, LAAS
Mamoun Gharbi, PhD Student, CNRS, LAAS
Stefan Glasauer, Senior Scientist,  Department of Neurology, Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich
Siddhartha Srinivasa, Finmeccanica Associate Professor, The Robotics Institute, Carnegie Mellon University

Workshop website: