[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Scheduler Software Engineer at Transcriptic's robotic cloud lab for biology

Allison Bawazer-Pedro allison at transcriptic.com
Wed May 13 16:34:40 PDT 2015

 We are:
Transcriptic is a robotic cloud laboratory for the life sciences. Our modular, scalable platform enables organizations of all sizes to do more discovery at lower cost with substantially higher reproducibility. Transcriptic's cloud model means that there's no hardware to buy or software to install and customers pay only for what they use. Transcriptic currently supports a broad array of in vitro molecular biology, and has limited support for cell biology with expanded capabilities in development.

We're in this to change how basic research is done. We want seed incubators to fund biotech companies composed of two graduate students and a laptop, not social-local-mobile photo-sharing apps.

In our culture, everyone has precisely one priority, data wins arguments, and every individual is empowered to think creatively. Our work culture is an unstructured environment where you can do your best work supported by a group of your peers. Everyone sets their own goals, and hierarchy is naturally discovered.

We want:
Transcriptic is looking for someone with a Master’s or PhD in computer science with a research background in planning and scheduling. Ideally, they'll have already worked at one or two places in industry and have previously written a planning system that was deployed to solve an actual business problem. In this position, you'll need to interleave multiple independent orders to be run concurrently on a set of hardware devices (there is a strong analogy to job shop scheduling) subject to various biological as well as physical constraints. Efficiently scheduling our robotic operations is a large and exciting combinatorial optimization problem that we’re just starting to attack with both expert knowledge as well as mathematical solvers.

You have:
	• a Master's or PhD program in Computer Science, Operations Research, Robotics, or a related field
	• strong programming skills
	• thorough experience in state-of-the-art planning and scheduling techniques
	• a high attention to detail
	• deployed their work on real robotic hardware
	• the ability to translate a high-level goal into action with minimal further guidance
	• a love for robots

You also might have:
	• experience with mathematical solvers such as Gurobi or similar
	• experience with scheduling frameworks such as EUROPA or similar
	• programming experience in Scala or other functional languages
	• a background in biology
	• at least two years of professional experience; we don't usually hire straight out of college, wherever you went and however well you did there

You want:
	• a challenging environment that will push you to grow and improve professionally, every day
	• opportunities to learn new technologies and fields, along with the freedom to work on hard technology and real science
	• competitive salary and meaningful equity
	• flexible and generous vacation whenever you need a day (or three) off
	• 100% covered health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
	• a monthly CalTrain pass and cellular tethering
	• free membership to a gym of your choice
	• delivered lunch, catered dinner, and unlimited snacks

Transcriptic is an equal opportunity employer

To apply, please click on the link below:
https://jobs.lever.co/transcriptic/f3033ce6-b2ef-489f-ba9a-36b6f0203df6/apply?lever-source=RoboticsWorldwideUSC <https://jobs.lever.co/transcriptic/f3033ce6-b2ef-489f-ba9a-36b6f0203df6/apply?lever-source=RoboticsWorldwideUSC>