[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] Call for Papers - 2nd Italian Workshop on Artificial Intelligence and Robotics (AIRO 2015)

AndreA Orlandini andrea.orlandini at istc.cnr.it
Tue May 26 11:55:05 PDT 2015

               2nd Italian Workshop on Artificial Intelligence and Robotics
                                                    (AIRO 2015)

http://airo2015.istc.cnr.it/
                                            22 September 2015 (TBC)
                                                    Ferrara, Italy

                                              Held in conjuction with the
                    14th Conference of the Italian Association for
Artificial Intelligence
                                                        (AI*IA 2015)
http://aixia2015.unife.it/

** Aims and Scope **

The goal of AIRO 2015 is to present, discuss and assess recent advances
in the use of Artificial Intelligence methods to build better Robotics
systems.

When we say, “better”, what are we talking about? We believe that robot
intelligence is a property of complex robot systems interacting with
real world environments (including the robot itself). As a matter of
fact, as we expect robots to leave lab settings and to take part to our
everyday life, either at home or in public spaces, the notion of
Artificial Intelligence as a separated and somewhat peculiar
functionality of a robot’s architecture shows its intrinsic limitations.

We need to stress robot sensing, representation and action to distribute
Artificial Intelligence principles and methods at various levels of
robot architectures, with respect to both hardware and software
components. It becomes evident that, in order to cope with the plethora
of situations, events, objects, places and humans the world is full of,
robot intelligence “as it is” is rather insufficient, both with respect
to the scope of achievable performance and to actual techniques and
tools for designing engineered robot behavior.

This motivates AIRO 2015, involving such different - yet intertwined -
research areas as sensing and perception, human-robot interaction,
intelligent control, cognition, behaviour and reasoning models,
distributed knowledge representation and computational ontologies,
engineering tools, software architectures, and fast-prototyping
techniques, learning, real-time systems and robot morphology. Starting
from these diverse research fields, and in continuity with the previous
AIRO workshops, the need arises to design robots able to face complex
challenges in real-world service tasks. Robot intelligence is expected
to play major roles when interacting with humans and when dealing with
everyday situations, like human assistance, housekeeping or autonomous
driving, just to name three of the most common scenarios Robotics
researchers like to play with.

** Workshop Format **

The workshop will include oral presentations, system demonstrations and
posters related to the integration of Artificial Intelligence and
Robotics. Contributions should be submitted as extended abstract (4
pages + bibliography) via the AIRO 2015 EasyChair website:
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=airo2015 All contributions
should be typeset in the Springer LNCS style, described at:
http://www.springer.com/comp/lncs/Authors.html Accepted abstracts will
be published on the workshop website.

The organizers are investigating the availability of journal editors in
order to invite higher quality contributions from the AIRO 2015 edition
to a special issue or post-proceedings volume.

** Important Dates **
Submission deadline: June 21st, 2015
Notification of acceptance : July 19th, 2015
Early registration: July 31st, 2015
Workshop day: 22 September 2015
Conference days: September 23-25, 2015

** Workshop Organizers **
Alberto Finzi (University of Napoli "Federico II", Naples, Italy)
Fulvio Mastrogiovanni (University of Genova, Genova, Italy)
Antonio Sgorbissa (University of Genova, Genova, Italy)
AndreA Orlandini (ISTC-CNR, Rome, Italy)

** Programme Committee (To Be Completed) **
Salvatore Maria Anzalone (Sorbonne University, Paris, France)
Alberto Finzi (University of Napoli “Federico II”, Naples, Italy)
Luca Iocchi (Sapienza University, Rome, Italy)
Serena Ivaldi (INRIA, Nancy, France)
Fulvio Mastrogiovanni (University of Genova, Genova, Italy)
Daniele Magazzeni (King’s College, London, UK)
Daniele Nardi (Sapienza University, Rome, Italy)
AndreA Orlandini (ISTC-CNR, Rome, Italy)
Antonio Sgorbissa (University of Genova, Genova, Italy)

AndreA Orlandini PhD

  National Research Council of Italy
  Institute for Cognitive Science and Technology
  Phone:  +39-06-44595-223      E-mail: andrea.orlandini at istc.cnr.it
  Fax:    +39-06-44595-243      Url: http://www.istc.cnr.it/group/pst