[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Funded PhD positions in Robotic Manipulation at University of Leeds

Mehmet Dogar m.r.dogar at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Nov 12 02:19:43 PST 2015

The School of Computing at University of Leeds is looking for PhD students
with interest in planning and control for robotic manipulation. Particular
interests are:
* multi-robot collaborative manipulation,
* manipulation planning for manufacturing and assembly, and
* physics-based manipulation planning.

This will be a 3 or 4 year PhD studentship in the Robotics Lab in our
School. Students from Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical
Engineering departments, and other robotics-related fields are welcome to
apply.

Our lab is equipped with a number of robots (including a UR5 arm, a Baxter
robot, and Robotiq grippers) and sensors (including OptiTrack motion
tracking). The University of Leeds recently made a $6.5M investment in
robotics research and in a Robotics Center (http://robotics.leeds.ac.uk/)
that our lab is affiliated with. The equipment in the Robotics Center will
also be available for our use during the PhD, including a collaborative
manipulation system of four Denso manipulators and a Vicon tracking system.

There will be opportunities for external collaboration, particularly with
MIT and Carnegie Mellon University, which our group has strong ties with.

Please follow the directions on this form to apply for the scholarship:
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/downloads/download/300/leeds_anniversary_research_scholarships_application_form
Please apply before 15 January, preferably earlier.

Please also get in contact with me (m.r.dogar at leeds.ac.uk) with your CV and
a 2-page research proposal relating to one of the topics listed above. You
can find more details about these topics and related publications here:
http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~scsmrd/

Best wishes,
Mehmet Dogar
m.r.dogar at leeds.ac.uk