[robotics-worldwide] [software] New FORTH Hand Tracker and python API release

Antonis Argyros argyros at ics.forth.gr
Tue Nov 17 00:56:57 PST 2015

We are happy to announce the release of our new Hand Tracker library
(http://cvrlcode.ics.forth.gr/handtracking/).

The new library brings a lot of bug fixes and updates, both under the
hood and on the API level.

We are now providing fine grained control on the tracking pipeline
through python, enabling easier modification and extension of the
tracker for testing and academic use.

The new version is also fixing bugs that caused problems with some newer
Nvidia drivers and GPUs.

The new library offers:
- Depth based hand segmentation. No need for skin color.
- Python API. Fine grained access to the tracking pipeline steps.
- Tracking of two hands and hand-object tracking is now supported.
- Improved performance (30+ fps) on modern GPUs.

Moreover, we are releasing the python scripts for this new version on
github (https://github.com/FORTH-ModelBasedTracker/HandTracker). We plan
to extend the number of provided tracking scripts over time and provide
better support to the users of the library through the github tools.

Kind regards,

Antonis Argyros
On behalf of the K3DHT team

--
Prof. Antonis Argyros
Computer Science Department, University of Crete
Tel: +30 2810 393594, argyros at csd.uoc.gr
- and -
Institute of Comp. Science - FORTH
Tel: +30 2810 391704, argyros at ics.forth.gr