[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Robotic Software Engineering position for In situ Digital Fabrication - ETH Zurich
buchlij at ethz.ch
Tue Nov 17 23:48:43 PST 2015
Robotic Software Engineering position at the Agile and Dexterous
Robotics Lab at ETH Zürich
We are looking for a highly motivated and skilled Robotic Software
Engineer to support our research work on Digital Fabrication in
At the ADRL (http://www.adrl.ethz.ch) we work on realizing the vision of
In situ Fabrication with the goal to take Robotic Mobile Manipulation to
the construction site to enable completely novel processes in
Architecture. The work is placed within the NCCR Digital Fabrication
A first In-situ Fabricator (IF) has been developed using standard
off-the-shelve technology (http://goo.gl/pcCIGP). To develop the next
generation IF, we aim at improving the state of the art in sensing,
control and hardware concepts and implementing these with Researchers in
Robotics, Architecture, Control Theory, and Civil/Materials Engineering
and Industrial Partners.
The successful candidate will be an integral and important member of an
academic research team. Your task will be to lead software development
and maintenance, mostly oriented towards robotic hardware. This will
include developing code from microcontrollers up to middleware. He/she
will code him-/herself but also consult lab members in developing clean
and efficient code.
This is a non-academic position. The successful candidate is not
expected to publish. She/he will however be an integral and important
member of an academic research team.
- Starting Date: The position is open for immediate filling.
- Evaluation of candidates starts on receipt of applications but will
continue until position is filled (see http://www.adrl.ethz.ch for updates).
- Outstanding software engineering skills
- Experience in embedded & real-time programming, programming for closed
loop control applications, robotics or similar
- MA, BA, or equivalent professional experience in Software
Engineering, Robotics, Electrical Engineering or related
- Able to work in a highly motivated, international and
- Outstanding team & communication skills
- Very good English skills, written and spoken
- Excellent analytical skills & Critical thinking
- Driven, independent personality
- C++/C, Python & GIT knowledge
- Mechatronics and electronics knowledge
The following experience is beneficial:
- Xenomai or other RT OS
- ROS knowledge
- Unix/Linux knowledge
- Working with real robots
- Motion planning and control
- Signals and Systems knowledge
**[HOW TO APPLY]**
Please send your CV, a cover letter and at least 2 reference letters to
Prof. Dr. Jonas Buchli <buchlij (at) ethz (dot) ch> quoting [SW Eng
Application S_15_1] in the subject. *Please send all documents in PDF or
plain text format only. *
Include indication of relevant software development work (links to
projects, code excerpts, etc).
For questions please contact Jonas Buchli <buchlij (at) ethz (dot) ch>.
**[WHAT WE OFFER]**
We offer a contract of 1 year with possible extension up to 3 years at
the forefront of one of the most dynamic engineering fields.
A SW Engineering position at ETH is a regular job with social benefits,
an attractive salary and access to excellent facilities in one of the
world's leading technical universities. Zurich is regularly voted among
the top cities in the world for quality of life.
**[THE ADR LAB @ ETHZ]**
- Information about the Agile and Dexterous Robotics lab can be found at
- ADRL is located at the Institute of Robotics and Intelligent Systems:
http://www.iris.ethz.ch/ and the Dept. of Mechanical Engineering:
- Information about ETH can be found at http://www.ethz.ch/
Prof. Dr. Jonas Buchli
Agile and Dexterous Robotics Lab
Institute of Robotics and Intelligent Systems
+41 44 633 92 06
More information about the robotics-worldwide