[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] University of Michigan: Multiple Postdoc and R&D Engineer positions in Autonomous Driving Research

Ryan Eustice eustice at umich.edu
Thu Nov 19 03:43:35 PST 2015

University of Michigan, Ann Arbor is looking for excellent Postdoc and R&D
Engineer candidates to come join our academic group in autonomous driving,
led by Professors Ryan Eustice and Edwin Olson.  The multiple openings are
on our Next Generation Vehicle project, which is in collaboration with Ford
Motor Company Research in Dearborn, Michigan.  We have a small fleet of
self-driving vehicles based upon an automated 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid
platform, and UMich has recently constructed a new purpose-built facility
for the testing and development of connected and automated vehicles, dubbed
Mcity.

NGV media release:  http://tinyurl.com/um-ngv

Lab webpages:  http://robots.engin.umich.edu   and
http://april.eecs.umich.edu

Mcity:  http://mtc.umich.edu/test-facility

Post-doc positions: Applicants with a demonstrated research record in robot
perception, state estimation, mapping, motion planning, or a related field
are sought to help develop novel approaches. It is envisioned that most
applicants will have a PhD in computer science or robotics, though this is
not a strict requirement. Postdoc positions will provide significant
opportunities for career development, including research and publishing,
and mentoring of PhD students. Applicants should clearly enunciate their
career objectives, research interests, and their current skills that are
applicable to the project.

Research Engineer positions: We are also seeking engineering personnel who
will be focused on day-to-day software development,
software/electrical/mechanical integration, vehicle testing, etc. Ideal
applicants will have a PhD or MS in computer science or robotics and
demonstrated research record in robot perception, state estimation,
mapping, motion planning, or a related field. Extensive debugging skills
and experience, as exemplified by other "real-world" robotics projects, are
highly valued. In most cases, applicants should have a solid background in
performance-sensitive software development. Applicants should clearly
enunciate their practical experience, and their current skills that are
applicable to the project.

To inquire about a position, please send a cover letter indicating what
type of position you are interested in, and a description of your
qualifications. All applicants should include a CV. Postdoc applicants
should include a research statement with links to recent publications;
Research Engineer applicants should do the same where applicable. Due to
the volume of applicants anticipated, we may not be able to individually
respond to each application.

Please send materials to: ngv-apply at umich.edu

For Postdocs, use subject line "NGV Application: [Postdoc]".

For R&D Engineers, use subject line "NGV Application: [Engineer]".

--
Ryan Eustice, PhD
Associate Professor, University of Michigan