[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] Call for papers: RSS 2016 Workshop on Robot Makers: The future of digital rapid design and fabrication of robots (RoMa 2016), June 19, 2016, University of Michigan

Nicola Bezzo nb6be at eservices.virginia.edu
Sun Apr 3 12:12:41 PDT 2016

We are pleased to invite contributions in the form of full papers or extended abstracts for the RSS 2016 Workshop on Robot Makers (RoMa 2016). Flyer attached.

Robot Makers: The future of digital rapid design and fabrication of robots (RoMa 2016)
Held on June 19, 2016 at the University of Michigan, in conjunction with Robotics: Science and Systems 2016.

Following the success of our first workshop on Robot Makers (RoMa) at RSS 2014, which resulted in a paper in the IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine, we invite you to participate in the second RoMa at RSS 2016 to discuss the future of digital rapid design and fabrication of robots.
With your contributions, we hope to make this one even more successful, with the goal of turning the proceedings into a published Springer book.

The focus of this year's workshop will be on the interplay between robotics in academia and the wider world of maker culture.  How can academic research contribute to the democratization of engineering creation?  And what can robotics researchers learn from the experiences of educators, artists, hobbyists, and other community and industry makers?

We invite everyone with contributions in this space to submit to RoMa 2016.  In particular, we are looking for papers on the following topics:
- Rapid Fabrication for Robotics;
- Personalized Robotics;
- Programming Languages for Robotics;
- Hardware/software Codesign;
- Design Databases;
- From Rapid Prototyping to Mass Production;
- 2D and 3D Printing;
- Robotics in Education; and
- Robotics in Art.

We welcome both papers and extended abstracts that contribute to the fields of design, fabrication, and use of robotic systems. All submissions will receive standard reviews and will be evaluated in terms of significance, relevance, and technical quality.  Submitted papers should be up to 8 pages in length including figures, while extended abstracts should be up to 2 pages in length including figures.

The tentative schedule is as follows:
- April 29 – Submission Deadline
- May 15 – Acceptance Notification
- May 31 – Final Submission
- June 19 – 2016 RoMa Workshop at University of Michigan

Further details can be found on our website:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.seas.upenn.edu_-7Enicbezzo_RoMa2016_&d=CwIF-g&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=q7Bnv4grtcEWup-f_qew6x10Yi6hR_top_5ZmGTqDh4&s=-eEEYdp19gFL0x7C9eJgUZkJrf48uf4e8NWPqLJDLss&e=
Submissions can be uploaded via the RoMa2016 Submission Site:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.easychair.org_conferences_-3Fconf-3Droma2016&d=CwIF-g&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=q7Bnv4grtcEWup-f_qew6x10Yi6hR_top_5ZmGTqDh4&s=TRbB4sw7beAZdaI-GXQUj9eVL7czQg8uQ_LbNa62tp0&e=

For any questions regarding the workshop, please contact the organizers:

* Nicola Bezzo (nbezzo at virginia.edu) — University of Virginia
* Ankur Mehta (mehtank at ucla.edu) — University of California Los Angeles
* Mike Tolley (tolley at ucsd.edu) — University of California San Diego
* Cagdas Onal (cdonal at wpi.edu) — Worcester Polytechnic Institute

Kind regards,
Nicola Bezzo

—
Nicola Bezzo
Assistant Professor
Systems and Information Engineering
University of Virginia
Tel: 434-924-1365
E-mail: nbezzo at virginia.edu
Webpage: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.sys.virginia.edu_nicola-2Dbezzo.html&d=CwIF-g&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=q7Bnv4grtcEWup-f_qew6x10Yi6hR_top_5ZmGTqDh4&s=NSCHBo4O6gLgnR7ANNF5Qkb80Ew_Pbu9EwYtn4cak68&e=