[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Postdoc position @ Naval Research Laboratory, Washington DC

James McMahon james.mcmahon at nrl.navy.mil
Thu Apr 7 08:41:39 PDT 2016

The Physical Acoustics Branch at the Naval Research Laboratory in
Washington DC is looking for a computer scientist or roboticist to join
our team as a postdoc.In the physical acoustics branch we have a
multidisciplinary research team with backgrounds in structural
acoustics, distributed sensing, machine learning, automated planning,
energy storage, and nanomechanical devices. This opening is primarily to
perform research in AI for long-term autonomy. Specifically, we will be
looking at applying machine-learning techniques to improve how
Autonomous Underwater Vehicles understand their environment and make
decisions.

Minimum Qualifications:

  * PhD in Computer Science.
  * Strong publication record in Machine Learning or Automated Planning.
  * Excellent verbal and writing skills.
  * The ability to work in a challenging environment with
    multidisciplinary groups.
  * Experience programming in C++.
  * Must be a U.S. Citizen.

Preferred Qualifications:

  * Experience applying Deep Learning techniques to pattern classification.
  * Experience implementing online POMDP planning.
  * Experience conducting field experiments and writing software for use
    on fielded robots.
  * Experience using ROS or MOOS-IvP.
  * Experience designing and conducting experiments using mobile robots.

Postdoc positions typically last for 2-3 years. The stipend for the
position is ~76k annually. For additional information visit
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__hroffice.nrl.navy.mil_jobs_postdoc.htm&d=CwICaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=-HbJNYOV6F8YpPJII40kKX4shKX6RvbnoHwMmDAc2wc&s=QeE2Ra_x2-ZIYb0tUWK-uR6X23bYT1Plwo7OXO-3AB4&e= . Please submit a cover
letter as well as a C.V. to james.mcmahon at nrl.navy.mil.

/NRL is the corporate research laboratory for the Navy and Marine Corps
and conducts a broad program of scientific research, technology and
advanced development. NRL has served the Navy and the nation for 90
years and continues to meet the complex technological challenges of
today's world./

--
James McMahon
Mechanical Engineer, Code 7130