[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] 2nd CfP: R:SS 2016 - Bootstrapping Manipulation Skills Workshop

Oliver Kroemer oliverkro at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 10 22:56:43 PDT 2016

2nd CALL FOR POSTERS

==================================
R:SS 2016 Workshop on
Bootstrapping Manipulation Skills
==================================

Website: www.bootstrapping-manipulation.com

Important Dates :

Submission deadline: 22 April 2016
Notification of acceptance: 29 April 2016
Workshop date: 19 June 2016

Abstract :

When we talk about "learning a manipulation skill" in robotics, the robot
is often learning only one component of the skill. For example, "learning
to grasp" often focuses on learning a suitable grasp frame, while assuming
that the grasp controller and the success conditions are predefined. In
this manner, the predefined components define the learning problem for the
remaining component. However, relying on predefined components limits the
autonomy of the robot. Instead, robots should bootstrap the skill
acquisition process and learn multiple components together.

In recent years, researchers have proposed different paradigms for learning
multiple skill components. These approaches include learning components
sequentially using scaffolding, decomposing demonstrations using
segmentation, and sharing components between skills using transfer
learning. Researchers have also been exploring different information
sources for bootstrapping skills, such as learning from demonstration,
crowdsourcing, learning from planning, and self-exploration.

In this workshop, we want to bring together researchers to discuss
different approaches for bootstrapping the skill learning process. Central
to the discussion will be three key questions:

1. What are the different components of manipulation skills that robots can
learn?

2. What (external) information sources can be used to initialize skill
bootstrapping?

3. Which learning frameworks can be used to acquire multiple components
together?

In order to encourage discussion, the workshop will include multiple poster
sessions, short brainstorming sessions, and invited talks that cover
different aspects of skill bootstrapping. The ultimate goal of the workshop
is to identify taxonomies of information sources, paradigms for
bootstrapping manipulation skills, and open problems.

Invited Speakers :

Michael Beetz (University of Bremen)
Maya Cakmak (University of Washington)
Sonia Chernova (Georgia Institute of Technology)
Kris Hauser (Duke University)
Ashutosh Saxena (Cornell University and Stanford University)
Stefanie Tellex (Brown University)
Emre Ugur (Boğaziçi University and Innsbruck University)

Submissions :

We are soliciting submissions of extended abstracts of 1-2 pages on recent
work that is relevant to the workshop. We welcome any work that explores
learning for manipulation skills. We especially encourage submissions that
investigate learning multiple skill components, or a novel source of
information for bootstrapping the learning process. Abstracts should be
submitted as PDF files using the same format as for the main R:SS
conference submissions.

Submissions should be submitted by email to:
submissions at bootstrapping-manipulation.com

Abstracts will be single-blind reviewed on the basis of relevance,
significance, and clarity. The accepted contributions will be presented as
posters during the workshop. The authors may also be given the chance to
additionally give a short spotlight presentation of their work.

Submission deadline: 22 April 2016
Notification of acceptance: 29 April 2016

Organizers:

Oliver Kroemer, University of Southern California
Scott Niekum, University of Texas at Austin
George Konidaris, Duke University
Manuel Lopes, INRIA