[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Postdoc at University of Washington Applied Physics Laboratory (Seattle, WA)

Aaron Marburg amarburg at apl.washington.edu
Fri Apr 15 10:22:49 PDT 2016

The Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) at the University of Washington is seeking candidates for the APL Postdoctoral Fellowship program.   This is a department-wide fellowship encompassing the physical and oceanographic sciences, acoustics, and ocean engineering, however we in the Ocean Engineering Department are looking for candidates who can strengthen our growing expertise in robotic perception, autonomy, navigation and haptic control with an explicit (but not exclusive) focus on marine robotics and field robotics in general.   We are looking for candidates who can take a leadership role, defining, designing, and fielding next-generation systems for marine science, industry and defense.

This fellowship has an expected term of two years.  Positions are not project specific; an applicant is expected to define his/her research goals with the help of a mentor and within the broad program areas of the participating APL departments.  A transition to permanent staff is possible subject to availability of funds and the demonstration of an interest in developing independent research initiatives.

APL is a University Affiliated Research Center at the University of Washington.  We have a 70+ year history in scientific innovation in acoustic and remote sensing, ocean physics and engineering, medical and industrial ultrasound, polar science and logistics, environmental and information systems, and electronic and photonic systems.  APL researcher have the opportunity to work closely with academics at the UW, with federal labs and funding agencies, and with our commercial partners.

For more information and application information, please see:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ap.washington.edu_ahr_academic-2Djobs_position_nn17588_&d=CwIFAg&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=xiu3KbqavHCGbPR_BJDFCPGaU16hl0ulS3Wpm93jEPE&s=oYs4mKFdLXdg4HStbuuY3pa9lRcyXauBujjUhRUpego&e=

The position closes on __June 13th__.   It is __strongly encouraged__ that applicants identify a mentor before making their application.   Please see:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.apl.washington.edu_departments_departments.php&d=CwIFAg&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=xiu3KbqavHCGbPR_BJDFCPGaU16hl0ulS3Wpm93jEPE&s=uRamxsLP3VZZQiR8RMZZh2KxR9lz3B04cyXah1NCm00&e=

Please contact me (amarburg at apl.washington.edu) with any (robotics-related!) questions and for help identifying potential mentors and projects.

----
Aaron Marburg
Ocean Engineering Dept.