[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Robotics Mechanical Engineer at Pneubotics (San Francisco)

Tom Allen tomfallen at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 10 14:43:15 PDT 2016

About us:

Pneubotics is looking for strong candidates to help build the world’s first soft robotic arms. We have reimagined robots from the ground up to produce soft machines that are stronger, safer, and more efficient in construction and operation than ever before. We are now building the core team that will help our robots take their first steps into the world.

Pneubotics is an Otherlab company based in the Mission district in San Francisco. We offer a vibrant environment, competitive benefits, and the chance to help guide the direction of a new company. As we grow our small, tight-knit team we are looking to hire people that have an appetite for solving hard problems. If you have a background in creating sophisticated machines or building a company and have a strong desire to tread into the unknown, we would like to hear from you.

The position:

We are looking for a Robotics Mechanical Engineer who can help us evolve our beta versions of our robot into a commercial product. You will work closely with our mechanical engineering and controls team to refine designs and implement upgrades both for performance and manufacturability. Primary responsibilities include: design and analysis at the component and system levels; working with vendors to produce high quality parts on time and on budget; development and implementation of acceptance and lifetime tests; and debugging of problems by breaking them down into simple tests that can give quick answers. In addition to the customary duties and responsibilities that go along with the Robotics Mechanical Engineer position, from time to time you may be asked to take on other reasonable duties and responsibilities that are required to help Pneubotics grow as a new company.

The successful candidate will be a natural maker, comfortable thinking about the system level consequences of design decisions as they impact thermal, sensing, power, software, structural, manufacturing, and aesthetic attributes. You must have made things that move and understand how to control them. You should have a good understanding of engineering materials and manufacturing processes and how the two are interconnected.

The right candidate will have a good foundation in the following:

Required:
BS in mechanical engineering or similar field with at least 3 years of experience
Design of complex systems
Strong background in structural Analysis and FEA
Problem solver
Experience with acceptance and lifetime test design
Solidworks Proficiency
Ability to make clear part drawings for external vendors

Desired:
MS in mechanical engineering or similar field OR 5 years industry experience working on taking a product to market
Design for manufacturing experience
Experience with Certification/Qualification Process of a Product/System
Machining Experience
Familiarity with Matlab or Python
GD&T experience
Experience with pneumatic or hydraulic systems (in particular valves)
CFD Experience
Optimization of designs for weight and cost

If interested, please email a resume and brief description of yourself to robot-jobs at otherlab.com

More information at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.pneubotics.com_&d=DQIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=K9bWYG6ZTsvvwGwj2lx9-FtBLx8CJL7WQ_20434YhB8&s=R6ajjx4MMvPWHdGUVAr5ONTbVjB1rVad1w95ZsWz_0o&e=  and https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__otherlab.com_&d=DQIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=K9bWYG6ZTsvvwGwj2lx9-FtBLx8CJL7WQ_20434YhB8&s=GyC45HRtY-QHmA6icEgGZGJVTSN6x_7cPuQ65SFvWaE&e=