[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Robotic Controls Engineer Position at Pneubotics (Long Beach, CA)

Thomas Allen tom at otherlab.com
Wed Aug 10 21:43:16 PDT 2016

About us:
Pneubotics is looking for strong candidates to help build the world’s first
soft robotic arms. We have reimagined robots from the ground up to produce
soft machines that are stronger, safer, and more efficient in construction
and operation than ever before. We are now building the core team that will
help our robots take their first steps into the world.

Pneubotics is an Otherlab company based in the Mission district in San
Francisco. (Note, the position is in Long Beach, CA, see below.)  We offer
a vibrant environment, competitive benefits, and the chance to help guide
the direction of a new company. As we grow our small, tight-knit team we
are looking to hire people that have an appetite for solving hard problems.
If you have a background in creating sophisticated machines or building a
company and have a strong desire to tread into the unknown, we would like
to hear from you.

The position:
We are looking for a natural controls engineer to help teach our compliant
robots to interact with the world around them. These robots will operate in
both industrial settings and submerged marine environments. As part of the
controls team you will help define a new standard in manipulation where
robots seek out and take advantage of contact as opposed to avoiding it. In
order to develop effective control laws, this person will need to analyze
and understand messy non-linear systems and produce simple (but not too
simple) models that describe their behavior. Primary responsibilities
include developing and implementing control algorithms in software,
integrating new sensing/state estimation methods, and bringing up/debugging
new systems.

The problems we are solving are complex and require someone who can work
fluidly in a small team.

This position will involve a period of “boot camp” for several months in
San Francisco to become familiar with the team and the technology. It will
then be permanently located in or near Long Beach, CA at our SoCal research
lab.

The right candidate will have a good foundation in the following.

Required:

BS in mechanical engineering or similar field with at least four years
experience
Strong background in classical and modern controls
Ability to speak physics fluently
Proficiency in computer programming
Willingness to tackle difficult problems and take on a bit more
responsibility than they’d really like

Preferred:
MS or above in mechanical engineering, computer science, robotics, or
similar
Demonstrated ability to control physical systems
Hands on experience writing software to control physical systems
Has worked in C++, Python, Linux, and ROS
Familiarity with embedded systems, communication protocols, and developing
real-time software
Motion planning or computer vision experience a big plus
Comfortable with linear algebra, robot kinematics, representations of 3D
rotations
Familiarity with textiles and inflated structures

If interested, please email a resume and brief description of yourself to
robot-jobs at otherlab.com

More information at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.pneubotics.com_&d=DQIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=q0Pd7eCN3AtfSkeCuvkx0wU-kDBmF54bA9_EYoS43fs&s=uE6WQ91WFfIhooAYvYhh4pN46D0kqIrZsonNYeWo9H4&e=  and https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__otherlab.com_&d=DQIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=q0Pd7eCN3AtfSkeCuvkx0wU-kDBmF54bA9_EYoS43fs&s=C_auZ1H9xjcWE-Awz-FkfdPBcK43TsllWBtq0rqMVo8&e=