[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] ICRA 2017 Call for Use-Inspired Robotics Challenges
Tee Keng Peng
kptee at i2r.a-star.edu.sg
Sun Aug 14 21:27:47 PDT 2016
The 2017 International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) is inviting organizers/sponsors to propose and run Use-Inspired Robotics Challenges. The goal of the ICRA Use-Inspired Robotics Challenges is to advance innovations in robotics through solution benchmarking on challenging problems motivated by real-world use scenarios. We aim to make the Challenges accessible to all members of the robotics community so as to encourage participation from all over the world, and to ensure that they are closely relevant to the technical scope of the conference.
For the organizers/sponsors, the Use-Inspired Robotics Challenge is a good opportunity to work with world-class R&D teams in robotics to understand the gap between state-of-the-art robotics technology and real-world needs, and find potential solutions to the problems in a short timeframe. Also, it is a good opportunity for the organizer/sponsor to have extensive international media coverage in a high profile robotics challenge event.
Prospective organizers/sponsors should submit a proposal with the following information:
* Title and abstract.
* Detailed description of the Challenge, including objectives, problem statement, tasks to be performed by the robots, task performance metrics, and judging criteria.
* Proposed schedule for organizing the Challenge, including dates for finalizing the rules, soliciting and receiving submissions, shortlisting finalists, sending equipment (if any) to finalists, etc.
* Proposed awards and support provided (e.g. equipment, travel grant) to participating teams.
* Preference or requirements for space.
* Administrative and technical assistance (if any) needed from ICRA organizing committee.
* Any terms and conditions (legal or otherwise) that the participants are required to adhere to.
* Short bio of the organizers/sponsors.
Important considerations in preparing the proposal include the relevance, originality, feasibility, and implementation plan. In general, the teams bring their own robots and equipment. The organizer/sponsor does not need to purchase these robotic systems.
Proposals should be emailed to the ICRA 2017 Challenge Co-Chairs at icra2017.challenges at gmail.com.
Proposal submissions: 31st August, 2016
Notifications: 15th September, 2016
About ICRA 2017
ICRA is the IEEE Robotics and Automation Society's flagship conference and is a premier international forum for robotics researchers to present their work. The 2017 conference will be held from May 29 to June 3, 2017 at Sands Expo and Convention Centre, Marina Bay Sands in Singapore. The conference will include plenary sessions, contributed paper sessions, workshops and tutorial sessions, an industrial forum, a government forum, an ASEAN & emerging country forum, exhibitions, and robot challenges.
For any questions or clarifications, please contact the ICRA 2017 Challenge Co-Chairs at icra2017.challenges at gmail.com.
Information on the previous ICRA Robotics Challenges can be found at the following websites.
* The Airbus Shopfloor Challenge 2016
* The Amazon Picking Challenge 2015
Robotics Challenge Co-Chairs:
Dan Popa, University of Texas at Arlington, United States
Keng Peng Tee, Institute for Infocomm Research, Singapore
Herman Van der Kooij, University of Twente, Netherlands
More information about the robotics-worldwide