[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Robotic Controls Engineer Position at Pneubotics (Long Beach, CA)

Tom Allen tomfallen at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 10 14:42:06 PDT 2016

About us:

Pneubotics is looking for strong candidates to help build the world’s first soft robotic arms. We have reimagined robots from the ground up to produce soft machines that are stronger, safer, and more efficient in construction and operation than ever before. We are now building the core team that will help our robots take their first steps into the world.

Pneubotics is an Otherlab company based in the Mission district in San Francisco. (Note, the position is in Long Beach, CA, see below.)  We offer a vibrant environment, competitive benefits, and the chance to help guide the direction of a new company. As we grow our small, tight-knit team we are looking to hire people that have an appetite for solving hard problems. If you have a background in creating sophisticated machines or building a company and have a strong desire to tread into the unknown, we would like to hear from you.

The position:

We are looking for a natural controls engineer to help teach our compliant robots to interact with the world around them. These robots will operate in both industrial settings and submerged marine environments. As part of the controls team you will help define a new standard in manipulation where robots seek out and take advantage of contact as opposed to avoiding it. In order to develop effective control laws, this person will need to analyze and understand messy non-linear systems and produce simple (but not too simple) models that describe their behavior. Primary responsibilities include developing and implementing control algorithms in software, integrating new sensing/state estimation methods, and bringing up/debugging new systems.
The problems we are solving are complex and require someone who can work fluidly in a small team.

This position will involve a period of “boot camp” for several months in San Francisco to become familiar with the team and the technology. It will then be permanently located in or near Long Beach, CA at our SoCal research lab.

The right candidate will have a good foundation in the following.

Required:
BS in mechanical engineering or similar field with at least four years experience
Strong background in classical and modern controls
Ability to speak physics fluently
Proficiency in computer programming
Willingness to tackle difficult problems and take on a bit more responsibility than they’d really like

Preferred:
MS or above in mechanical engineering, computer science, robotics, or similar
Demonstrated ability to control physical systems
Hands on experience writing software to control physical systems
Has worked in C++, Python, Linux, and ROS
Familiarity with embedded systems, communication protocols, and developing real-time software
Motion planning or computer vision experience a big plus
Comfortable with linear algebra, robot kinematics, representations of 3D rotations
Familiarity with textiles and inflated structures

If interested, please email a resume and brief description of yourself to robot-jobs at otherlab.com

More information at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.pneubotics.com_&d=DQIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=Zv-ke3h6zn2CC25zD-Dj1sDjYt7RvMylxjLoxbm8szM&s=GT7FvD1hOnzv3NTuMPom7GlRO3aZIiUW1e08D3A3R9o&e=  and https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__otherlab.com_&d=DQIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=Zv-ke3h6zn2CC25zD-Dj1sDjYt7RvMylxjLoxbm8szM&s=fXct_KFt54nn_uQGGbHWG2DLLbWZ0QfqQL7CvwRcG9k&e=