[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Robotics Mechanical Engineer at Pneubotics (San Francisco)

Thomas Allen tom at otherlab.com
Wed Aug 10 21:42:27 PDT 2016

About us:

Pneubotics is looking for strong candidates to help build the world’s first
soft robotic arms. We have reimagined robots from the ground up to produce
soft machines that are stronger, safer, and more efficient in construction
and operation than ever before. We are now building the core team that will
help our robots take their first steps into the world.

Pneubotics is an Otherlab company based in the Mission district in San
Francisco. We offer a vibrant environment, competitive benefits, and the
chance to help guide the direction of a new company. As we grow our small,
tight-knit team we are looking to hire people that have an appetite for
solving hard problems. If you have a background in creating sophisticated
machines or building a company and have a strong desire to tread into the
unknown, we would like to hear from you.

The position:

We are looking for a Robotics Mechanical Engineer who can help us evolve
our beta versions of our robot into a commercial product. You will work
closely with our mechanical engineering and controls team to refine designs
and implement upgrades both for performance and manufacturability. Primary
responsibilities include: design and analysis at the component and system
levels; working with vendors to produce high quality parts on time and on
budget; development and implementation of acceptance and lifetime tests;
and debugging of problems by breaking them down into simple tests that can
give quick answers. In addition to the customary duties and
responsibilities that go along with the Robotics Mechanical Engineer
position, from time to time you may be asked to take on other reasonable
duties and responsibilities that are required to help Pneubotics grow as a
new company.

The successful candidate will be a natural maker, comfortable thinking
about the system level consequences of design decisions as they impact
thermal, sensing, power, software, structural, manufacturing, and aesthetic
attributes. You must have made things that move and understand how to
control them. You should have a good understanding of engineering materials
and manufacturing processes and how the two are interconnected.

The right candidate will have a good foundation in the following:

Required:
BS in mechanical engineering or similar field with at least 3 years of
experience
Design of complex systems
Strong background in structural Analysis and FEA
Problem solver
Experience with acceptance and lifetime test design
Solidworks Proficiency
Ability to make clear part drawings for external vendors

Desired:
MS in mechanical engineering or similar field OR 5 years industry
experience working on taking a product to market
Design for manufacturing experience
Experience with Certification/Qualification Process of a Product/System
Machining Experience
Familiarity with Matlab or Python
GD&T experience
Experience with pneumatic or hydraulic systems (in particular valves)
CFD Experience
Optimization of designs for weight and cost

If interested, please email a resume and brief description of yourself to
robot-jobs at otherlab.com

More information at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.pneubotics.com_&d=DQIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=tYOaKx9NoZ_jitdglWWx4waJcqEkgBzc8Cy5csiMCGs&s=hX8smid_wz7GivmQv65ntErHjAxkMKUUtboS7Tb8w3o&e=  and https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__otherlab.com_&d=DQIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=tYOaKx9NoZ_jitdglWWx4waJcqEkgBzc8Cy5csiMCGs&s=dUJq9GdWm5ND5t8NIMAhAfHTM0Yynmg02Y9e3cNupQ0&e=