[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Graduate student/Post-doc positions in Marine Robotics

Ralf Bachmayer ralf.bachmayer at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 07:46:47 PDT 2016

The Autonomous Ocean Systems Laboratory (AOSL) at Memorial University of Newfoundland in St. John’s, Newfoundland, Canada
is looking for Graduate Students (M.Eng., M.Sc. or Ph.D. level studies) and post-docs interested in the field of applied marine robotics.
The AOSL is engaged in all aspects of research related to marine robotic platforms for persistent operations in harsh environments.
The laboratory is home several autonomous underwater gliders (SLOCUM G1,G2), a ROV, three unmanned surface craft ranging from 40 kg to 1000 kg displacement.
Our newest addition the semisubmersible USC SeaDragon has been designed, build and deployed carrying a wide variety of above and below water sensors (Cameras, Lidar, RADAR, Sonar, ADCP, CTD).
The vehicle has undergone engineering test in the past year and has conducted its first science mission around icebergs this summer, as part of a project on autonomous ice monitoring (Ice Ocean Sentinel System).
We are looking for enthusiastic individuals to complement our enthusiastic team of graduate students, post-docs and research engineers.
A background in one or more of the following fields is desirable
- mechatronics
- electrical engineering
- computer science
- ocean engineering

Since most of our research is deployed and tested the ocean environment we expect our students to be willing to go to sea for short periods of time.
Practical experience is a plus Teamwork is a must.

Design tools/computer languages: 	SolidWorks
							Matlab/Simulink
							ROS
							C/C++

Fields of research: 	System design
				Dynamics and control
				Multi-vehicle coordinated/cooperative control,
				Sensor fusion (Vision, Lidar, RADAR, Sonar, underwater and above)
				Adaptive sampling
				Machine learning
				Remote scene reconstruction and visualization

If interested please submit your CV including 2-3 references to bachmayer at mun.ca <mailto:bachmayer at mun.ca>.