[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Post-Doctoral position/ Research and Development Scientist –Robotics at Perception Robotics

Mohammad Dadkhah Tehrani mdadkhah at perceptionrobotics.com
Wed Aug 31 14:11:43 PDT 2016

POSITION: Research and Development Scientist –Robotics

The Perception Robotics LLC housed at the Los Angeles Clean Tech Incubator is
looking for a two-year postdoctoral fellow to conduct research that
contributes to one of our active NSF-supported research projects. In our
current NSF SBIR Phase 2 project we work on an innovative type of compliant
tactile sensing solution—a rubber “skin” that can be molded into any form
factor, supports a variety of mechanical properties and is inherently
inexpensive and durable. Our focus here is pose calculation in small parts
handling; in essence, we seek to give industrial robots a sense of touch,
coordinated with machine vision.

This position will be supported through “Small Business Postdoctoral
Research Diversity Fellowship” program. The program recruits postdoctoral
fellows from underrepresented groups to work for at least a year outside an
academic setting, contributing to cutting-edge research aimed at promoting
scientific excellence and strengthening US nation’s technological
prowess. Each research fellow will receive a stipend of $75,000 plus health
insurance benefits. The program is administered by the American Society for
Engineering Education (ASEE). Read more at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__nsfsbir.asee.org&d=DQIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=BNqNS6xMaJX_QCOWIYm34hskXRpyy_1IIc6OYvJCYEw&s=Q6gqHTGuwGpEhEWgCaIaJPUrNWovvRSVBXXakbBjDi8&e=
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__nsfsbir.asee.org_&d=DQMFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=0fybbZiLmylRpaKZAa-AhsTbBdvUc9zGXv879UTHwqI&s=ueV46evJ2LTt5xYOeJPdD8Bw6RjWhDSipHudpi_EVrs&e=>
.

*WHO WE ARE: *Perception Robotics is a tech start-up, founded in April 2012
and housed at the Los Angeles Clean Tech Incubator https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__laincubator.org&d=DQIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=BNqNS6xMaJX_QCOWIYm34hskXRpyy_1IIc6OYvJCYEw&s=systpzrQPXBCecWVPOIjPg3Ur5awuCVraPtcB0vLYD8&e=
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__laincubator.org_&d=DQMFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=0fybbZiLmylRpaKZAa-AhsTbBdvUc9zGXv879UTHwqI&s=ugNwOR3tqkBeliANG3FE1N8T22nKyPzvQgRuWW3fMRA&e=>.
We integrate a variety of industrial robot systems (including Fanuc,
Kawasaki and Universal Robots) and conduct research for the National
Science Foundation and NASA. We are a 7-person team with remote team
members in Honolulu and Houston.

More company information can be found at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__perceptionrobotics.com_&d=DQIFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=BNqNS6xMaJX_QCOWIYm34hskXRpyy_1IIc6OYvJCYEw&s=5k6bnR8FQmwJHPgVwM1B2tWQsD_OSxhhHIZDJzveMpw&e=
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__perceptionrobotics.com_&d=DQMFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=0fybbZiLmylRpaKZAa-AhsTbBdvUc9zGXv879UTHwqI&s=t-aAC_ihszDL1ZmP4tHehp1V0T8_MV1rE798gdHF-lA&e=>
.

*WHAT WE DO: *Perception Robotics is a materials technology company focused
on solving manipulation problems in industrial robotics. We have two unique
technologies: 1) a pressure sensitive polymer that can be inexpensively
cast into any shape and gives robots a sense of touch and 2) a gecko-like
polymer that can rapidly transition from being sticky to not-sticky. We
leverage these technologies to tackle robotic pick and place problems for
robots. Combined with stereo cameras and smart software, we’re making the
next generation of material handling robots and the first robotics company
to solve picking problems using touch and vision.

RESPONSIBILITIES:

We are looking for a highly motivated scientist with a background in
Robotics and/or computer science/applied mathematics. You will work
alongside our team to help improve the performance of our vision system in a
very supportive team oriented environment. We love to think, design and
work together to bring new ideas to the tables and you will need to have
the same attitude. This is a great opportunity for someone who enjoys
working in a small growing company and wants to feel their contribution is
valued and appreciated.

You will be in charge of the following activities:

·         improving matching algorithms for a binocular stereo vision system

·         Participating in the integration of the vision system into the
robotic platform

·         Participating in the development of algorithms for 3D environment
reconstruction, based on RGBD point cloud or RGB structure from motion
technologies

·         Participating in the development of visual servoing and visual
tracking technologies for real-time object detecting and tracking and pose
estimation.

SKILLS/ EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:

·         Proficiency in computer vision/robot vision.

·         Experience in programming using image processing libraries, i.e.
OpenCV, PCL.

·         Experience in programming in C++, Python.

·         Working knowledge of ROS under Linux.

·         Scientific curiosity, large autonomy and ability to work
independently

·         Experience with version control tools such as GIT.

·         Experience working on robotic perception, target tracking

APPLICANT ELIGIBILITY:

To apply, you must:

·         Possess at the time of fellowship a Ph.D., Sc.D. or other earned
doctoral degree recognized in U.S. academic circles, in an NSF-supported
STEM-related discipline, earned within seven years of the application, and

·         Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or U.S. legal permanent resident
at the time of application, and

·         Not have received a prior postdoctoral fellowship in a corporate
laboratory for a term of more than six months.

APPLICATION DETAILS:

This position is open immediately, and will remain open until filled. The
preferred start date is as soon as possible. Please submit a CV, a brief
statement of research interests, and a list of three references (including
email addresses) to hiring at yorkholmes.com and Info at perceptionrobotics.com or
apply athttps://nsfsbir.asee.org/jobs/763
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__nsfsbir.asee.org_jobs_763&d=DQMFaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=0fybbZiLmylRpaKZAa-AhsTbBdvUc9zGXv879UTHwqI&s=M43Wk2GVhNjTVfKnV_Vjin_P6BY2q9FCEOgSWB76jcA&e=>
.

SUPERVISOR: Dr. Nick Wettels

LOCATION: 525 S Hewitt St, Los Angeles, California, USA