[robotics-worldwide] [journals] 2nd CFP: Special issue on Tactile perception for manipulation in IJHR

Qiang Li qli at TECHFAK.UNI-BIELEFELD.DE
Wed Dec 7 02:12:31 PST 2016

Dear colleagues,

Following the success of our "Workshop on Tactile sensing for
manipulation: new progress and challenges" at IEEE RAS Humanoids2016:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ni.www.techfak.uni-2Dbielefeld.de_ICHR2016WS_home&d=DgIDaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=39eiEVXXnS9h60QCg9INZXYH88X-9d-Em-79HLhN_6I&s=-jKh0C0QEUroUYjAorRH8Prq1x_DrSaBqvjuydTjJas&e=

It is our pleasure to announce the following call for papers:

  International Journal of Humanoid Robotics
  <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.worldscientific.com_worldscinet_ijhr&d=DgIDaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=39eiEVXXnS9h60QCg9INZXYH88X-9d-Em-79HLhN_6I&s=QZ9xpnWJJnO5vbx1wpYnZL8vzqAP_nxIvAkP3XBKcog&e= >

*--Special Issue Call for Papers--*

*Tactile **perception**for manipulation: new progress and challenges*

*CFP in IJHR webpage*

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.worldscientific.com_page_ijhr_callforpaper01&d=DgIDaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=39eiEVXXnS9h60QCg9INZXYH88X-9d-Em-79HLhN_6I&s=_J_vgnHksbFsU32CfR2dxuesufTOUu4oj6wsrogqsJA&e=

*Download Flyer:*

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ni.www.techfak.uni-2Dbielefeld.de_files_IJHR-5FCFP-5FTactileManipulation-5F0.pdf&d=DgIDaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=39eiEVXXnS9h60QCg9INZXYH88X-9d-Em-79HLhN_6I&s=kPzRyBhQiRaFsD86eePwsR3NQMb7qvazrzJ0j6QKlkk&e=

*Motivation and Objectives*

Tactile sensing technology has achieved tremendous progress in recent
decades. Nowadays,advanced tactile sensors are available

  *

    forcoveringlarge regions of the robot body (e.g. torso, arms, leg
    etc)andenabling manipulation with the whole-body

  *

    for robot hands, to enhancedexterous manipulation capabilities

  *

    in wearable devices, tofacilitateneuro-scientific and physiological
    studies to deepenour understanding of sensori-motor control processes

However, the dexterous manipulation skills of robots are still lacking
as compared tothose of humans. Possible reasonsare:

  *

    Available sensors are limited with low temporal and spatial
    resolution compared to human's mechanoreceptors

  *

    Tactile data processing algorithms need to be improved, via machine
    learning,to automatically extract significantfeatures

  *

    A generic and robust manipulation control framework incorporating
    strong sensori-motor feedback loops is still missing

Within this special issue, we will bring together experts from the
different domains, including tactile hardware development, robot
manipulation and machine learning,to discuss recent progress and
remaining challenges in tactile-based robotic manipulation, and to draw
a whole-scene picture of tactile perception in manipulation with
harmonic mixture of multidisciplinary research. All the submissions for
this Special Issue will undergo the regular IJHR review process.Please
mention: *"This paper is submitted to the special issue on Tactile
perception for manipulation"*

*List of Topics*

  *

    Advanced anthropomorphic tactile sensor development and calibration

  *

    Tactile display devices in teleoperation such as surgical robots

  *

    Whole-body tactile-based manipulation and safety

  *

    Deep learning and its applications to tactile sensing and control

  *

    Tactile-driven exploration strategies

  *

    Tactile-driven robot body / tool self-calibration(robot body schema)

  *

    Tactile servoing and manipulation

  *

    Tactile image and tactile object perception

  *

    Tactile-based unknown object grasp and in-hand manipulations

  *

    Using tactile for unknown object reconstruction, classification and
    slip detection

*Important Dates*

Submission deadline: 1st, March, 2017

Notification: 1st, May, 2017

Final version due: 1st, June, 2017

To appear in the issue of: Oct, 2017 (tentative)

For further information, please contact one of the following guest

editors in this order:

*Qiang Li * <mailto:qli at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>

CITEC/Bielefeld University,Germany

qli at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de

*Lorenzo Natale* <mailto:Lorenzo.Natale at iit.it>

iCub Facility/Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia(IIT),Italy

Lorenzo.Natale at iit.it

*A**n**drea Cherubini* <mailto:andrea.cherubini at lirmm.fr>**

LIRMM/Université de Montpellier, France

andrea.cherubini at lirmm.fr

*Anh-Van Ho <mailto:a15066 at mail.ryukoku.ac.jp> *

Ryukoku Universtiy,Japan

a15066 at mail.ryukoku.ac.jp

*Robert Haschke* <mailto:rhaschke at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>

CITEC/Bielefeld University,Germany

rhaschke at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de

*Helge Ritter* <mailto:helge at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>

CITEC/Bielefeld University,Germany

helge at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de

--
Viele Grüße

Dr. Qiang Li

Neuroinformatik Group
Cognitive Interaction Technology - Center of Excellence (CITEC)
Bielefeld University     | Office: 3.223
                         | Phone:  +49 (0)521 106-12107
Inspiration 1            | Fax:    +49 (0)521 106-6011
33619 Bielefeld          | Email:  qli at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de
Germany                  | WWW:    www.neuroinformatik.de