[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Data Scientist

Alice Marks alice at voltaware.com
Wed Dec 14 06:04:08 PST 2016

*Vacancy: Data Scientist – Electricity Disaggregation*

*Company Introduction*
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced data scientist at
Voltaware.

Voltaware is a young and growing start up based in London, striving to
reduce energy bills and improve energy efficiency using our unique energy
monitoring service – the Voltaware energy monitor.

Voltaware have developed a sensor which uses NILM technology to measure
electricity usage in real time. Using machine learning and a disaggregation
algorithm, our sensor continually learns appliance-level electricity
consumption information. This information is sent to the Voltaware app
where end-users can understand what, where and when they are using their
energy in real-time. Voltaware can be used by homeowners and businesses
alike. Please see www.voltaware.com for more details.

*Job Description*
We are looking for a Data Scientist that will help us discover the
information hidden in the vast amounts of data collected by our sensors,
and help us make smarter decisions to deliver even better products. The
primary focus of the role will be in applying data mining techniques, doing
statistical analysis, and building high quality prediction systems
integrated with our products including (but not limited to): automated
scoring using machine learning techniques, building recommendation systems,
improving and extending the features used by our existing classifier,
developing internal A/B testing procedures, building systems for specific
applications in healthcare, elderly care, security systems, fault
detection, and preventive monitoring of appliances.

*Key points:*

   - £40,000 - £55,000 annual salary - negotiated based on experience
   - Working with a dynamic team
   - London office
   - Potential for stock options
   - 20 days holiday plus public holidays

*Responsibilities*

   - Selecting features, building and optimising classifiers using machine
   learning techniques.
   - Data mining using state-of-the-art methods.
   - Extending the company’s data with third party sources of information
   when needed.
   - Enhancing data/appliance signature collection procedures to include
   information that is relevant for building analytic systems.
   - Processing, cleansing, and verifying the integrity of data used for
   analysis.
   - Doing ad-hoc analysis and presenting results in a clear manner.
   - Creating automated anomaly detection systems and constant tracking of
   its performance.

*Skills and Qualifications*

   - Excellent understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms,
   such as k-NN, Naive Bayes, SVM, Decision Forests, etc.
   - Experience with common data science tool-kits, such as R, Weka, NumPy,
   MatLab, etc. Excellence in at least one of these is highly desirable.
   - Great communication skills.
   - Experience with data visualisation tools, such as D3.js, GGplot, etc.
   - Proficiency in using query languages such as SQL.
   - Experience with NoSQL databases, such as MongoDB, Cassandra, HBase.
   - Good applied statistics skills, such as distributions, statistical
   testing, regression, etc.
   - Basic scripting and programming skills to carry out data analysis and
   basic data modelling work.
   - Data-oriented personality.
   - Minimum five years experience in data science and data mining.
   - Understanding of signal processing and spectrum analysis highly
   desirable.
   - Experience with sensor data and IoT applications highly desirable.
   - PhD level education in data science is preferred.

If you believe you are the right candidate for this role, please send your
CV and a half-page cover letter to hr at voltaware.com.

Thank you,
Alice Marks

Marketing Executive