[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Software Engineer Position at Pneubotics (San Francisco)

Thomas Allen tom at otherlab.com
Fri Jan 29 14:17:35 PST 2016

About us:

Pneubotics is looking for strong candidates to help build the world’s first
soft robotic arms. We have reimagined robots from the ground up to produce
soft machines that are stronger, safer, and more efficient in construction
and operation than ever before. We are now building the core team that will
help our robots take their first steps into the world.

Pneubotics is an Otherlab company based in the Mission district in San
Francisco. We offer a vibrant environment, competitive benefits, and the
chance to help guide the direction of a new company. As we grow our small,
tight-knit team we are looking to hire people that have an appetite for
solving hard problems. If you have a background in creating sophisticated
machines or building a company and have a strong desire to tread into the
unknown, we would like to hear from you.

The position:

We are looking for a talented software engineer to build the software
infrastructure and user interface that allows robots to safely interact
with their environment. This person will work closely with the controls
team to bring our hardware to life.  The role will be split between
ownership of our software system (architecture, build system, testing
framework, GUI, etc.) and work on our high level behavior and perception
systems (machine vision, machine learning, control and estimation, etc.).
The problems we are solving are complex and require someone who can work
fluidly in a small team. The right candidate will have a good foundation in
the following and have a strong desire to tread into the unknown.

Required:

BS in computer science or similar field with at least 4 years experience.

Experience creating complex software platforms from scratch

Proficiency with C++, Python, and Linux

Familiarity with real-time operating systems and generating code for
efficient execution

Demonstrated ability to construct and manage build systems

You must enjoy working in teams but can complete complex tasks that require
critical thinking without supervision.

Preferred:

MS or above in relevant field with at least 4 years experience.

Machine vision, machine learning, motion planning, or control experience a
big plus

Hands on experience designing software for robotics or similar hardware
systems

Strong understanding of working with embedded systems and firmware

Comfortable with dynamic programming, optimization, and linear algebra

Familiarity with ROS or other middleware

If interested, please email a resume and brief description of yourself to
robot-jobs at otherlab.com

More information at http://www.pneubotics.com/ and https://otherlab.com/