[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Software Engineer making Exoskeletons - Roam

Tim Swift tim at otherlab.com
Wed Nov 2 14:44:59 PDT 2016

*About Roam*
At our core, we are a mobility company. Our goal is to reinvent the way we
make powered orthotics -- otherwise known as exoskeletons -- making them
inexpensive, comfortable, and safe for home use.  We believe that we can
help people stay mobile longer, get injured less frequently, and overall do
more. We are developing a new class of exoskeleton that uses high strength
fabrics and a pneumatic powertrain, resulting in power to weight ratios
that are unmatched by existing exoskeleton systems at a significantly lower
cost. We are looking for smart, motivated engineers and designers to help
develop the software that makes this technology possible.

Roam is an Otherlab company. The Otherlab family is a talented and creative
group of scientists and inventors working on a range of projects in the
robotics, renewable energy, digital manufacturing, transportation, and
educational markets. Otherlab is located in a historic pipe organ factory
in the heart of San Francisco’s Mission district. More information about
Otherlab can be found at www.otherlab.com, and a quick introductory video
can be found at www.roamrobotics.com.

*Position*
This is a full time position as a software engineer working at the Otherlab
facility in San Francisco.  You will work with our electronics and controls
team to help develop our core software tools and systems for our research
and product platforms. This will have you working on problems ranging from
supporting our machine learning efforts to developing the software that
interacts with our devices.

We are seeking highly motivated and adaptable individuals who will explore
the peaks and valleys of all problems that may come up, while crafting
professional and elegant code.

We'd love to hear from you, please go to www.roamrobotics.com to apply.

*Required*
- Strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms and
programming languages
- Proficient in unix, command-line tools, and general system debugging
- Strong skills in C++ and Python
- Strong object-oriented design, design patterns and believer in software
development best practice
- Able to deliver quality work in a fast-paced startup environment
- US Citizen or permanent resident and ability to relocate to work at the
Otherlab San Francisco office

*Bonus Points*
- Academic background in computer science (BS or MS)
- Experience developing linux applications with clean user interfaces
- Experience with machine learning algorithms a plus

We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We
do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender, sexual
orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.