[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Controls Engineer making Exoskeletons - Roam

Tim Swift tim at otherlab.com
Wed Nov 2 14:45:03 PDT 2016

*About Roam*
At our core, we are a mobility company. Our goal is to reinvent the way we
make powered orthotics -- otherwise known as exoskeletons -- making them
inexpensive, comfortable, and safe for home use.  We believe that we can
help people stay mobile longer, get injured less frequently, and overall do
more. We are developing a new class of exoskeleton that uses high strength
fabrics and a pneumatic powertrain, resulting in power to weight ratios
that are unmatched by existing exoskeleton systems at a significantly lower
cost. We are looking for smart, motivated engineers and designers to help
develop the software that makes this technology possible.

Roam is an Otherlab company. The Otherlab family is a talented and creative
group of scientists and inventors working on a range of projects in the
robotics, renewable energy, digital manufacturing, transportation, and
educational markets. Otherlab is located in a historic pipe organ factory
in the heart of San Francisco’s Mission district. More information about
Otherlab can be found at www.otherlab.com, and a quick introductory video
at www.roamrobotics.com.

*Position*
This is a full time position based out of our San Francisco office that
will work on all aspects of the development of control software for our
unique breed of exoskeleton. This includes algorithm development, software
implementation, and hardware deployment including both bring-up and debug.
To succeed in this position, you must be familiar implementing control
algorithms on real hardware and understand the challenges and limitations
associated with doing so. In addition, as a member of a small team, you
must demonstrate strong communication skills and an ability to guide the
work at times when required. You have the opportunity to impact the future
of exoskeleton design by working with our team make devices that do things
no other hardware can, and ultimately deliver devices that change how
people go about their daily lives.

We'd love to hear from you, please go to www.roamrobotics.com to apply.

*Required*
- 2+ years experience writing software for physical robotic hardware
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline
- Excellent understanding of mathematical underpinnings of various control
approaches
- Ability to demonstrate strong interpersonal communication skills
- Good C/C++ and Python skills
- Ability to relocate to work at the Otherlab San Francisco office
- US Citizen or permanent resident

*Bonus Points*
- M.S. or PhD focused in Controls through Mechanical Engineering or a
related discipline
- Experience with fielded products is a major benefit
- Experience with exoskeletons or other robots that physically interact
with humans

We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We
do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender, sexual
orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.