[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Machine Learning Engineer making Exoskeletons - Roam

Tim Swift tim at otherlab.com
Wed Nov 2 14:45:20 PDT 2016

*About Roam*
At our core, we are a mobility company. Our goal is to reinvent the way we
make powered orthotics -- otherwise known as exoskeletons -- making them
inexpensive, comfortable, and safe for home use.  We believe that we can
help people stay mobile longer, get injured less frequently, and overall do
more. We are developing a new class of exoskeleton that uses high strength
fabrics and a pneumatic powertrain, resulting in power to weight ratios
that are unmatched by existing exoskeleton systems at a significantly lower
cost. We are looking for smart, motivated engineers and designers to help
develop the software that makes this technology possible.

Roam Robotics is an Otherlab company. The Otherlab family is a talented and
creative group of scientists and inventors working on a range of projects
in the robotics, renewable energy, digital manufacturing, transportation,
and educational markets. Otherlab is located in a historic pipe organ
factory in the heart of San Francisco’s Mission district. More information
about Otherlab can be found at www.otherlab.com, and a quick introductory
video at www.roamrobotics.com.

*Position*
A fundamental component of lower limb exoskeletons is the ability to
resolve the intent of the operator - actions like “walking”, “running”,
“going up stairs”, and “standing”.  The state of the art for deciding a
user’s intent is to use hand-tuned thresholds by an “expert” on sensor
data.  We believe that this “expert” tuned approach will not scale to the
kinds of systems that people dream about when they think of exoskeletons.
Using a set of on-board sensors like EMG, accelerometers, and force sensors
you will need to develop machine learning tools to craft classifiers that
provide an accurately guess of a user’s intended motion.  You will have
impact on the future of exoskeleton design by working with our academic
partners to develop the tools and processes necessary to open up the
boundaries and invent the dream to impact lives.

We'd love to hear from you, please go to www.roamrobotics.com to apply.

*Required*
- Experience using and developing machine learning or statistical algorithms
- Excellent understanding of mathematical underpinnings of the algorithms
- Good C/C++ and Python skills
- M.S/Ph.D. in Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Statistics or a
related discipline
- Ability to relocate to work at the Otherlab San Francisco office
- US Citizen or permanent resident

*Bonus Points*
- Experience with real things such as robots or wearables

We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We
do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender, sexual
orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.