[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Open PhD and Postdoc positions in Deep Learning, Control, and Robot Vision for Agile, Vision-based Quadrotor Flight

Davide Scaramuzza scaramuzza.davide at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 06:57:14 PST 2016

Dear colleague,

I would be glad if you could forward this job ad to the interested
people in your network.

Thanks
Best regards
Davide Scaramuzza

FLA program, the SNSF-ERC Starting Grant, and the NCCR Robotics.
As a PhD student or Postdoc in our lab, you will work in a team of
researchers developing new algorithms to advance the state of the art on
autonomous and agile navigation of vision-controlled quadrotors.
Applicants with an interest in, and strong experience with one of the
following disciplines are encouraged to apply: Deep Learning, Control,
Robot Vision.
Our vision is to make drones one day able to navigate as birds or better
than birds, using mainly onboard vision sensors. To achieve this goal we
investigate how machine learning, novel sensors (such as event cameras),
and coupled perception and control can be used to advance the state of
the art.  We are looking for motivated researchers to help make this
vision a reality!

An up-to-date list of our current research projects is here:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__rpg.ifi.uzh.ch_research.html&d=DgICaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=4wHmv7DInr3m3G5RqTnIGvZAEViy-cgLRlMgq9fpRRk&s=UjYYX7PZDzRbbHdsC3MTzlKaH3VKAw-nN79vRbi4SGc&e=

You will also work in close collaboration with other research groups
from ETH, EPFL, and UPENN.

The position is fully funded. PhD student and Postdoc positions in
Switzerland are regular jobs with social benefits (i.e., a pension
plan!). You will get a very competitive salary and access to excellent
research facilities (motion capture, 3D printing, a large flying arena,
electronic and machine workshops). Zurich is regularly ranked among the
top cities in the world for quality of life.

Women are strongly encouraged to apply.

-------------------------------------
WHO WE ARE
-------------------------------------
We are a research lab of the Computer Science Department of the
University of Zurich. As of August 2017, our lab will be affiliated with
the Department of Neuroinformatics of the University of Zurich and ETH
Zurich.
The lab was founded in 2012 and has made world-class contributions in
visual SLAM, event-based vision, and vision-based navigation of quadrotors.
The lab has been in the in the spotlight of the international press for
our works on deep learning for autonomous forest trail following and
agile navigation of quadrotors using standard cameras and event based
cameras: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__rpg.ifi.uzh.ch_media.html&d=DgICaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=4wHmv7DInr3m3G5RqTnIGvZAEViy-cgLRlMgq9fpRRk&s=1N9M0dxyDhSEq8gyg6Ju_Qq4oCB--I-NXAPG29U43OY&e=

-------------------------------------
YOUR SKILLS
-------------------------------------
In addition to a passion for computer vision, robotics, mathematics,
programming and abstract thinking, you should meet the following
requirements:

- Master or PhD degree in Computer Science, Robotics, Electrical,
Mechanical Engineering, Physics, or closely related fields
- Excellent academic track record (for postdocs: with publications in
high-impact-factor journals)
- Very good English skills, written and spoken
- Strong background in one of the following: Deep learning, Control,
Computer Vision
- Strong C++ skills
- Skill to analyze and improve algorithms
- Ability to work organized and independently

Familiarity with tools such as ROS, OpenCV, and Git is desirable.

-------------------------------------
DATES
-------------------------------------
Starting Date: January 2017 but later starts are also possible.
Application deadline: December 1, 2016. The evaluation of the candidates
starts immediately and will continue until the position is filled.

-------------------------------------
HOW TO APPLY
-------------------------------------
Please apply by filling and submitting the web form:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__rpg.ifi.uzh.ch_positions.html&d=DgICaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=4wHmv7DInr3m3G5RqTnIGvZAEViy-cgLRlMgq9fpRRk&s=rvAPgFm1ryt9plxJUgwKGLoo7c2lopX30V3hIPPaI6g&e=

You will be requested to upload a single PDF including (in the order):
1. Letter of motivation (max half page). Please specify your strong
experience in "one" of the following: Deep Learning, Control, Computer
Vision. If Postdoc applicant, please show evidence with publications in
the field.
2. Your CV (please include: your Nationality for visa requirements, Date
of Birth, your English level, scientific publications if any, hobbies);
3. Transcripts of records of your BSc. and MSc. degrees (for PhD
position applicants);
4. List of at least 3 references;

Please include your homepage and link to videos if available. For PhD
applicants, please also link your BSc. or MSc. theses or past works if
available. The letter of motivation should comment on the required
skills mentioned in the bullet point list above.

For questions, please contact me at: careersrpg (AT) ifi (DOT) uzh (DOT) ch
Applications sent by email and not through the web form above will not
be considered.

Best regards,

Davide Scaramuzza