[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Research Internships at Amazon Robotics

Durham, Joey josepdur at amazon.com
Tue Nov 29 14:58:25 PST 2016

Are you inspired by invention? Is problem solving through teamwork in your
DNA? Do you like the idea of seeing how your work impacts the bigger
picture? Answer yes to any of these and you¹ll fit right in here at Amazon
Robotics. We are a smart team of doers that work passionately to apply
cutting edge advances in robotics and software to solve real-world
challenges that will transform our customers¹ experiences in ways we can¹t
even image yet. We invent new improvements every day. We are Amazon
Robotics and we will give you the tools and support you need to invent
with us in ways that are rewarding, fulfilling and fun.

Position Overview:

The Research and Advanced Development team at Amazon Robotics is seeking
an intern with a passion for robotic research to work on cutting edge
algorithms to drive the world¹s largest coordinated fleet of mobile
robots. Our team works on challenging and high-impact projects, including
planning how to complete a million orders a day, coordinating the motion
of thousands of robots, and learning how to grasp all the products Amazon
sells. We are seeking internship candidates with backgrounds in resource
allocation, discrete optimization, search, planning and scheduling, or
machine learning. You will be challenged intellectually and have a good
time while you are at it!

Principle Job Requirements:

* Currently in a PhD program in Computer Science, Engineering, Machine
Learning, Operations Research or similar
* At least two years of relevant academic research in state-of-the-art
approaches for at least one of resource allocation, optimization, planning
or machine learning
* Ability to develop system prototypes in simulation
* Drive to see a project through from research concept to working
simulation prototype
* A working knowledge of analysis of algorithms and computational
complexity
* Fluency in at least one statistical software package such as R, Stata,
Matlab
* Scientific mindset and the ability to invent, excellent creative problem
solving skills
* Experience with programming languages such as Java, C++, Python

Preferred Qualifications:

* Superior communication and data presentation skills
* Demonstrated ability to work on collaborative, cross-functional teams
* Understanding of big data computing frameworks (Hadoop, Spark, etc) and
Amazon Web Services
* Experience with optimization software packages such as Xpress, CPLEX,
Gurobi

Interested candidates should contact:
Carrie Murphy
Sr. Recruiter