[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Faculty Positions in the MIT Department of Mechanical Engineering

John Leonard jleonard at mit.edu
Fri Oct 7 16:57:15 PDT 2016

The MIT Department of Mechanical Engineering is searching for new faculty
members in all areas of Mechanical Engineering, including Robotics.
We will also have a dedicated search in Ocean Engineering this year
(which incorporates Marine Robotics)  Please email me (jleonard at mit.edu)
if you have any questions.  Our full advertisement is below.  Thanks!

John Leonard

FACULTY POSITIONS
in Mechanical Engineering
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Department of
Mechanical Engineering seeks applications for a total of three faculty
positions starting September 2017 or on a mutually agreed date
thereafter. Appointment will be at the assistant or untenured
associate professor level. In special cases, a senior faculty
appointment will be considered.  Our department is committed to
fostering interdisciplinary research that can address grand challenges
facing our society.  We seek candidates who will provide inspiration
and leadership in research, contribute proactively to both
undergraduate and graduate level teaching in the Mechanical
Engineering department and add to the diversity of the academic
community.

Faculty duties include teaching at the graduate and undergraduate
levels, advising students and conducting research.  Candidates must
hold an earned Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering or a related field by
the beginning of employment.  Candidates in all areas related to
Mechanical Engineering will be considered, including, but not limited
to: (1) mechanics: modeling, experimentation and computation, (2)
design, manufacturing, and product development, (3) control,
instrumentation, and robotics, (4) energy science and engineering, (5)
ocean science and engineering, (6) bioengineering, and (7)
micro/nanoengineering.

In addition to searching broadly in mechanical engineering, the
department is particularly interested in hiring in thermal science and
ocean engineering.  Please refer to special ads on our website
(https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__meche.mit.edu_faculty-2Dpositions&d=DQIBAg&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=ly72_mAykHs6uyoq75jhLZSFGvlBNJWO3oh08Ib0W9M&s=lTNsH2b_uLQUBT80EuKxEoh2fbKVS9Zm0iTOtBEvz30&e= ) for details.

Applicants should send a curriculum vita, a research statement, a
teaching statement, and copies of no more than three publications.
They should also arrange for four individuals to submit letters of
recommendation on their behalf.  This information must be entered
electronically at the following site:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__school-2Dof-2Dengineering-2Dfaculty-2Dsearch.mit.edu_meche_register.tcl&d=DQIBAg&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=ly72_mAykHs6uyoq75jhLZSFGvlBNJWO3oh08Ib0W9M&s=PlSXhOARbxlO0AYKB1jXnpz1TDOVdsoXcksgIAAFvNI&e=
by December 1, 2016 when review of applications will begin.

MIT is an equal-opportunity/affirmative action employer.  Women and
underrepresented minorities are especially encouraged to apply.