[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Available Postdoc Position in Human-Robot Interaction, Robot Manipulation, and Physical Control - University of Wisconsin - Madison (Michael Gleicher)

Michael Zinn mike.zinn at wisc.edu
Sat Oct 8 13:01:13 PDT 2016

POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER POSITION IN THE WISCONSIN ROBOTICS GROUP

--

Availability: Immediately

Period: Flexible (nominally 2 years, with possibility of extension)

Location: Madison, WI

Application: Email gleicher at cs.wisc.edu<mailto:gleicher at cs.wisc.edu> with a CV

--

OVERVIEW

We are looking for a Research Associate (Post-Doc) in the field of robotics to join our group's work at the intersection of human-robot interaction, robot manipulation, and physical control. The ideal candidate would have expertise in at least one of these areas and have practical experience in working with robotic arms and sensing systems.

The position is part of University-funded research initiative "Physically-Responsive Collaborative Robot Manipulation" (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bit.ly_2as5CB8&d=DQICAg&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=I-9N36oFvtIOhTPhdNbTKOENjgJfQ5xpz9O-VEdyYts&s=rtKmmCz6b0saznbIG-0XcifTKLbZwZSZDwdGnG-xnlg&e= <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bit.ly_2as5CB8&d=DQMCAg&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=YQfU91fV9YReGoOb3Lei0cavGEtlJRkv3ZMZ90GM0lE&s=WKy3PLCx2fyUeK9I7t4ERM1ysybGhaAkhEwe0IFzQFg&e=>) and will be closely connected to our NSF funded project "Perceptually Inspired Dynamics for Robot Arm Motion" (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bit.ly_2as6d62&d=DQICAg&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=I-9N36oFvtIOhTPhdNbTKOENjgJfQ5xpz9O-VEdyYts&s=VoOFTmH0QM6uHXlNUku-hBso3eEavoNEcDl-9IhAgOY&e= <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bit.ly_2as6d62&d=DQMCAg&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=YQfU91fV9YReGoOb3Lei0cavGEtlJRkv3ZMZ90GM0lE&s=CDSbFXArRSkGzePSKJS-Ke_JzzTH0HazV6C1UO1mHTs&e=>). The team is led by Professors Michael Gleicher (Computer Sciences), Bilge Mutlu (Computer Sciences), and Michael Zinn (Mechanical Engineering).

TOPICS

Our project seeks to enable robots to perform physically-responsive manipulation while interacting with people. Challenges in this work include understanding how people can communicate and collaborate with robots in tasks where physical responses (e.g., forces) are important; developing techniques for controlling robots in such tasks including interpreting human movements; and building systems that demonstrate the promise of collaborative robot systems in tasks where physically-responsive manipulation is central.

We are interested in applications including assembly, physical therapy (i.e., where a robot precisely guides a patient), assistance (e.g., provided to individuals with mobility impairments), and handling fragile objects (e.g., picking fruit). The candidate will have substantial flexibility to propose specific projects within this broad space. Some of the things we are considering:

* Repeat after Me: Can we train a robot by observing a person performing the task? Does such a mimicry approach offer advantages with the alternative learning-from demonstration approaches?

* Helping Hand: Can we use a robot arm to provide a "third hand" to a person performing a physical task? Can we either infer the person's needs from their behaviors or devise effective interfaces for them to ask for help in an unobtrusive manner?

* Robot Monitoring: Can the robot effectively communicate its actions or intent to an observer, including their physical elements (e.g., forces and responsiveness).

The candidate will also play a role in setting up a new laboratory with the necessary resources (e.g., robots, human-sensing platforms).

POSITION

The position is available immediately, although the expected start timeframe is the beginning of Spring 2017. Duration is flexible (nominally a two-year position with the possibility of extension). Interested candidates should contact the PI (Michael Gleicher, gleicher at cs.wisc.edu<mailto:gleicher at cs.wisc.edu>). The home department of the position will be Computer Sciences.

--

Michael Gleicher, Professor

Department of Computer Sciences

University of Wisconsin - Madison

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__pages.cs.wisc.edu_-7Egleicher_&d=DQICAg&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=I-9N36oFvtIOhTPhdNbTKOENjgJfQ5xpz9O-VEdyYts&s=nZPwzOQPsmMjVAdRNea5DdmGNIEOAb_0F1BD9807ctg&e= <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__pages.cs.wisc.edu_-7Egleicher_&d=DQMCAg&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=YQfU91fV9YReGoOb3Lei0cavGEtlJRkv3ZMZ90GM0lE&s=BY5Gado3g4zZe2_UWxWBnXVPBo_LEWBqI5VaujfiETE&e=>