[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Computer Vision and Machine Learning Research Position at Sharp Laboratories of Europe (Oxford, UK)

Stephen Barkby stephen.barkby at sharp.co.uk
Thu Oct 13 09:11:31 PDT 2016

Sharp Corporation, a leading global supplier of electronic products, is currently expanding its business in the area of robotics. Sharp Laboratories of Europe, Sharp’s R&D centre in the historic city of Oxford, is seeking a talented candidate to join our new robotics research team developing computer vision and machine learning technology, with a current focus on automation in commercial greenhouses and other factory-like environments. This is an exciting opportunity to get in on ground floor development with an industry primed for robotic automation, working with customers to develop and test practical solutions to large scale commercial challenges. The successful applicant will have significant experience in computer vision, and in particular object detection, classification and machine learning. The post holder will be responsible for creating, developing, optimising and testing software algorithms against clear product requirements.

Successful candidates will have:

 PhD or equivalent experience in computer vision

 Demonstrable experience of machine learning

 Demonstrable experience of object recognition

 Strong programming skills including C++,Linux

 Interest in developing practical solutions to commercial problems

 Track record of creativity

 Willingness and ability to learn

 Happy working in and contributing to a team

Highly desirable would be additional research experience following a PhD, also experience of OpenCV or other vision library, 3D imaging, robotics, optimisation, ROS, and version control (GIT)

As an R&D laboratory, the nature of our work demands creativity, inventiveness and adaptability. Applicants who can demonstrate these qualities, for example through a track record of patents or high quality publications, will be at an advantage.

We provide extensive training and development and the use of purpose built test laboratories. We offer excellent career development prospects and a relocation and employment package that includes competitive salary, pension, life assurance and local amenity benefits.

This is initially a Fixed Term contract of 12 months but with the opportunity to convert to a permanent post.

Please note — we are unable to offer sponsorship to non-EU workers.
Applicants should send their CV and covering letter to the HR Department at jobs at sharp.co.uk<mailto:jobs at sharp.co.uk> quoting reference PG-Displays/JM/1609