[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Senior Embedded Systems / Mechatronics Position -- Tactical Haptics

William Provancher wil at mech.utah.edu
Mon Sep 26 12:15:07 PDT 2016

Tactical Haptics is seeking a full-time Senior Embedded Systems Engineer.

Tactical Haptics is an emerging startup that will change the way that
people physically interact with human-computer interfaces – starting
with gaming-oriented virtual reality.

*Senior Embedded Systems / Mechatronics Engineer Position*
Tactical Haptics is seeking an individual with strong hands-on
experience in mechatronics who is a strong embedded firmware programmer
and who has experience with PCB design and integrating microcontrollers
with serial peripherals (we currently use dsPIC and ARM microcontrollers
and develop in C).  Experience with haptic devices, control systems
design, mechanisms design, Android-to-smart-product app development,
Bluetooth Low Energy, and mechanical design are a plus.

*    The ideal candidate will have an MS or PhD in Electrical or
Mechanical Engineering (or related program/experience, e.g., robotics or
computer engineering) with a strong academic background in mechatronics
/ embedded systems and _8+ years of related industry experience_.
Experience in consumer electronics is also desirable. *

     If interested, please submit your resume and a cover letter
indicating your relevant experience, as well as your level of interest
and availability, to founder Dr. William Provancher at
jobs at tacticalhaptics.com. References will also be requested for
candidates that are interviewed.

About Tactical Haptics:
--------------------------------
Tactical Haptics is based in the California Bay Area and is
commercializing a new form of tactile feedback that can be built into a
video game motion controller and emulate the sensation of force
feedback, without being tethered to a desktop. Our controllers currently
integrate with the HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, and Playstation VR ecosystems,
through the Unity and Unreal game engines. Future products may also
target the mobile VR market (e.g., via an Android-based VR headset).

     Our technology uses sliding plates on the surface of the handle to
apply friction and shear forces to a user’s hand that mimic the forces
naturally experienced when interacting with objects (see above figure
and the videos on our media page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__tacticalhaptics.com_media_&d=DQIDaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=GioQvtucSObezzA0yGOcE73a6tRAIe3VJHC3PsMGwBA&s=g1oQbMrawURp2Ek1CI4JNZ8BCf9rtyhUcHHITMzhEFg&e= ).
Because of its ability to recreate the skin sensations of actually
holding and interacting with a real-world object, this type of feedback
creates engaging experiences that bring virtual reality (VR) and gaming
interactions to life. The value and competitive advantage of this
patented technology is that it can portray significantly more engaging
touch feedback than Rumble/vibration feedback, yet is less expensive and
has a larger workspace than force feedback devices since a bench-top
robotic linkage is not required to transmit force cues with our
technology.  Our haptic device is also simple and intuitive for
developers to program and interact with, as they can use a standard
physics engine (e.g., like available in game development engines) to
estimate force interactions and program our haptic motion controller as
if it is a 3-dimensional force feedback device.

See description of position online:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__goo.gl_X3uOsr&d=DQIDaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=GioQvtucSObezzA0yGOcE73a6tRAIe3VJHC3PsMGwBA&s=K7u7FTeLaDpJ1_YF-qStmbtF6cWBmxq_Qs0Mb_9CrI8&e=

Thanks,
Will

--

William Provancher, Ph.D.