[robotics-worldwide] [CFP] [Meetings] Humanoids 2016 WS: Can we build Baymax? Part 2. Making Hard Robots Soft: Sensors, Skin, and Airbags

Joohyung Kim joohyung.kim at disneyresearch.com
Mon Sep 26 17:01:58 PDT 2016

Dear Colleagues,

        Call For Contribution

Full-day Workshop at Humanoids 2016:
"Can we build Baymax? Part 2. Making Hard Robots Soft: Sensors, Skin, and
Airbags"

WESTIN Resort & Spa Cancun, Cancun, Mexico
November 15th, 2016

We are glad to announce that the full-day workshop "Can We Build Baymax?
Part 2. Making Hard Robots Soft: Sensors, Skin, and Airbags" will be held
on November 15, 2016, at IEEE-RAS International Conference on Humanoids
Robots (Humanoids 2016), Cancun, Mexico. We invite you to contribute and to
participate in this workshop.

The workshop's topics include, but are not limited to:

- Proprioceptive and exteroceptive sensors (tactile/force/proximity/whole-body
vision)
- Inflatable skin and airbags
- Soft mechanisms for physical human-robot interaction
- Human-friendly humanoid design and implementation
- Self recovery/healing technology for robots

Confirmed speaker (alphabetical order):

- Chris Atkeson (Carnegie Mellon University)
- Gordon Cheng (Technical University Munich)
- Masayuki Inaba (University of Tokyo)
- Shuuji Kajita (National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and
Technology (AIST))
- Joohyung Kim (Disney Research)
- Jinoh Lee (Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia)
- Janos Rudan (Optoforce)
- Hee-Sup Shin (University of Maryland)
- Akihiko Yamaguchi (Carnegie Mellon University)

(Tentative Schedule)

08:45-09:00 Introduction by the organizers
09:00-10:30 3 talks + Q&A
10:30-11:00 Coffee Break
11:00-12:30 3 talks + Q&A
12:30-14:00 Lunch
14:00-15:30 3 talks + Q&A
15:30-16:00 Coffee Break
16:00-17:30 Interactive session (3min teaser + Poster)
17:30-18:00 Discussion on topics
18:00-18:15 Closing

----------------------------------
   Abstract Submission
----------------------------------

The workshop will host an interactive poster session. The presenters in
this session will be given the opportunity for an hour-long interactive
poster presentation including a 3-minute spotlight pitch talk.

Important dates:

October 16, 2016: Submissions due
October 23, 2016: Acceptance notification
November 15, 2016: Workshop

To participate, please submit an abstract (1-2 pages, double-column, PDF)
via email to
Joohyung Kim: joohyung.kim at disneyresearch.com or
Jinoh Lee: jinoh.lee at iit.it

Please use the IEEE templates for conference below, and submit the final
PDF.
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ras.papercept.net_conferences_support_tex.php&d=DQIBaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=xmx7rWosB-XRljMsnR0dqwweMF7eN_g_oKXptgT9b5w&s=a_9FkMXpeoYpS-wv1foNfip33v_txOfPHrTcA-TOJ48&e=
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ras.papercept.net_conferences_support_word.php&d=DQIBaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=xmx7rWosB-XRljMsnR0dqwweMF7eN_g_oKXptgT9b5w&s=8bSwcsCQgT9CvjL1K7VGX6WeVY7Gm1z763r38zzFJuw&e=

Organizers:

Chris Atkeson (Carnegie Mellon University)
Joohyung Kim (Disney Research)
Jinoh Lee (Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia)
Katsu Yamane (Disney Research)

Please visit www.cs.cmu.edu/~cga/humanoids16workshop for more details.

Looking forward to meeting you in Cancun!

Best Regards,
Workshop organizers