[robotics-worldwide] [Jobs] Research Scientist/Engineer for Visual SLAM for Augmented Reality - Bosch Research, Palo Alto, CA

Visual Computing Robert Bosch rbvisualcomp at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 09:44:48 PDT 2016

The Visual Computing team in Bosch Research and Technology Center (Palo
Alto office) is seeking an enthusiastic and creative system
engineer/scientist with a strong desire to drive technology development in
this domain towards viable solutions to growing market needs.

Type: Full-time position

Location: Palo Alto, CA

Start date: As soon as possible

Contact: Email your resume to rbvisualcomp at gmail.com with a title, "VSLAM
Research Scientist/Engineer 2016"

Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Conduct advanced research and engineering on visual computing
technologies and systems, including real-time computer vision and image
processing, visual SLAM, augmented/mixed reality, image/video-based 3D
reconstruction, and vision graphics, particularly those that are related to
Bosch business
- Together with an international team of experts, drive the design and
implementation of innovative solutions that improve the user experience of
next generation Bosch products such as advanced driver information and
assistance systems, security systems, smart home and building solutions,
virtual testing, internet of things, robotics and autonomous systems, and
industry 4.0 applications
- Actively promote the latest in system innovations and best practices to
enable future research platforms and solutions
- Integrate the resulting system/software into existing Bosch platform and
summarize research findings in high-quality paper and patent submissions

Required Qualifications:
- Ph.D. (or M.Sc. with more than 3 years of relevant R&D experience) in
computer vision, vision graphics, augmented/mixed reality, and related
fields
- Strong background in modern 3D computer vision, especially in visual SLAM
and SFM
- Excellent programming skills, proficient in multiple languages and
libraries (e.g., C++, Java, JavaScript, Python, HTML5, OpenCV, OpenGL,
DirectX)
- 2+ years of experience in designing and developing complete, high-quality
camera/sensor module integration solutions including both hardware and
software, such as camera arrays, display or camera systems, wearable
sensing systems, and multiple sensor/data fusion
- Strong research and problem solving skills
- Excellent communication, teamwork and technical writing skills
- Experience with source control (SVN or Git)
- (BONUS) Experience in developing visual or visual-inertial SLAM systems
- (BONUS) Publication record in leading visual computing venues (e.g.,
CVPR, ISMAR, I3D, ICCV, VR, SIGGRAPH, ICRA, IROS)

About the Bosch Research and Technology Center
The Bosch Research and Technology Center North America (
www.boschresearch.com) with offices in Palo Alto, California, Pittsburgh,
Pennsylvania and Cambridge, Massachusetts is part of the global Bosch Group
(www.bosch.com), a company with over 50 billion euro revenue, 300,000
people worldwide, a very diverse product portfolio, and a history of over
125 years. The Research and Technology Center North America (RTC-NA) is
committed to providing technologies and system solutions for various Bosch
business fields primarily in the areas of robotics and autonomous systems,
visual computing, natural language understanding, car infotainment, web
technologies, data mining, wireless solutions, energy materials and
technologies, complex simulations, sensors, circuit design, and software
engineering. In all areas we work in close collaboration with our partners
at leading US universities, leading-edge industry partners, and other
worldwide Bosch research, development, and marketing units.

About Visual Computing at RTC-NA
Our Visual Computing group is responsible for shaping the future user
experience of Bosch products by developing cutting-edge technologies in the
fields of computer graphics, computer vision, scientific visualization,
mixed-reality, and HCI. We focus on solutions to hard challenges in using
visual and other modes of communication for natural user interaction. We
work with internal partners at various Bosch business units to transfer our
ideas and solutions into future products. We also actively collaborate with
leading groups in academia and industry to promote research ideas and
publish research findings in internationally renowned conferences and
journals. Recently, we published two full papers in IEEE International
Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality 2016.