[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Assistant and Associate Professor vacancies, TU Delft Netherlands
J.Kober at tudelft.nl
Tue Jul 4 05:30:48 PDT 2017
*Assistant and Associate Professor vacancies at the department Cognitive Robotics*
Faculty Mechanical, Maritime and Materials Engineering (3mE)
Department Cognitive Robotics
Level PhD degree
Maximum employment Maximum of 38 hours per week (1 FTE)
Duration of contract Tenure track or tenured
Salary Scale: €3475 to €6438 per month gross
A main focus of the 3mE faculty at TU Delft is the development of intelligent robotic devices that will advance mobility, productivity and quality of life of people. Across different departments in 3mE, researchers have been contributing to cutting-edge solutions to the underlying grand technical challenges in robotics and intelligent vehicles: machine perception, motion planning and control, machine learning, and (physical) interaction with humans.
To further strengthen robotic research and education, several key groups have now joined forces to form a new department: "Cognitive Robotics", with the mission to bring robotic solutions in human-inhabited environments. We combine fundamental research with work with physical demonstrators in areas such as self-driving vehicles, collaborative industrial robots, mobile manipulators and haptic interfaces. Strong collaborations exist within cross-faculty institutes (TU Delft Robotics Institute and TU Delft Transport Institute), our national robotic ecosystem (RoboValley, Holland Robotics), international industry and academia. The strategic decision to form the Cognitive Robotics department, financially supported by the Executive Board of the Delft University of Technology, allows us to hire new academic staff for several Assistant Professor (tenure-track) and Associate Professor (tenured) positions. We are looking for excellent candidates with a proven track record in scientific research, an innovative research vision, and a commitment to education.
The faculty positions are in the following areas complementing our current research at the department:
Research focus on grid-level and object-level fusion, multi-target tracking, extended object tracking and deep learning for multi-modal and temporal data fusion (video, lidar and radar) – applicable to the intelligent vehicles domain.
*Localization and Mapping*
Research focus on map generation from heterogeneous and distributed sensors (ground and aerial based), life-long mapping of large-scale complex and dynamic environments, and accurate localization in GPS denied areas - applicable to intelligent vehicles and other robotics domains.
*Automated dynamic modeling*
Research focus on novel learning algorithms along with rich sensor data for the automated creation of highly predictive internal dynamic models, applicable to all types of robots yet initially focused on self-driving vehicles.
*Robot motion control*
Research focus on nonlinear methods for robot motion control, including robust state estimation and sensor data fusion, application to dexterous manipulation and grasping.
*Physical human-robot interaction:*
Research focus on intuitive interaction and mutual learning between humans and (mobile) robot manipulators that operate in unstructured environments; based on insights from human-centered design, bilateral telemanipulation, (haptic) shared control, learning from demonstration, and human-robot team-work.
Candidates are expected to be, or be on their way to becoming, authorities in their own field of research, and to complement and enrich the existing research programs in the department. For the overall balance in the department, we especially welcome applications from female scientists. We expect you to:
• Develop, conduct and supervise high-quality academic research in your field;
• Teach general and specialized courses at undergraduate and post-graduate levels, and inspire students through teaching and post-graduate supervision;
• Interact and collaborate with other researchers and specialists in academia and industry within multidisciplinary research projects;
• Bridge the gap between theoretical knowledge and the development of new, innovative technologies;
• Establish and execute externally funded research programs;
• Be an inspiring contribution to our staff.
Our Tenure Track system offers young, talented academics a clear and attractive career path leading to a permanent appointment with the prospect of becoming an Associate or full Professor. We offer a structured career and personal development program designed to offer individual academics as much support as possible. For more information about the Tenure Track and the personal development program, please visit www.tudelft.nl/tenuretrack.
Applicants should have the following qualifications:
• PhD degree in Computer Science, Mechanical/Electrical Engineering, Applied Mathematics, Systems and Control, Artificial Intelligence or related disciplines. Experience in robotics and/or intelligent vehicle technology is an asset;
• Strong analytical skills and ability/interest to work at the intersection of several research domains.
• At least several years of experience as a post-doc/Assistant Professor, and experience outside the Netherlands;
• Excellent track record in scientific research, as evident from papers in international and peer-reviewed journals;
• Proven ability to deal with scientific and engineering challenges in close interaction with industrial partners;
• Proven ability to provide inspiring teaching at both undergraduate and post-graduate levels (in English);
• Organizational and managerial skills to interact and cooperate effectively with staff and other research institutes and organizations;
• Experience in acquisition of external funding;
• High motivation for implementing your own vision within the interdisciplinary environment that CoR offers;
• Team player with the ability to clearly communicate and eager to look for and exploit synergies CoR and its network provides.
*Conditions of employment *
A tenure-track position is offered for six years. Based on performance indicators agreed upon at the start of the appointment, a decision will be made by the fifth year whether to offer you a permanent faculty position. The TU Delft offers a customisable compensation package, a discount for health insurance and sport memberships, and a monthly work costs contribution. Flexible work schedules can be arranged. An International Children’s Centre offers childcare and an international primary school. Dual Career Services offers support to accompanying partners. Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities. The TU Delft sets specific standards for the English competency of the teaching staff and offers training to improve English competency.
*Information and application*
For more information about this position, please contact Prof. Robert Babuska, phone: +31 (0)15-2785117, e-mail: R.Babuska at tudelft.nl. To apply, please send a detailed CV, motivation letter, a research and teaching statement, electronic copies of your top three publications and contact data of at least three references. Please e-mail your application before 15 August 2017 to Nathalie van Benthem, application-3mE at tudelft.nl. When applying for this position, please refer to vacancy number 3ME17-32.
More information about the robotics-worldwide