[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Postdocs in Deep Learning and Reinforcement Learning at the University of Zurich, Switzerland

Davide Scaramuzza scaramuzza.davide at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 10:36:46 PDT 2017

Postdoc opportunities in Deep Learning for Computer Vision and
Reinforcement Learning for Robotics are available starting from now in
my lab: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__rpg.ifi.uzh.ch_positions.html&d=DwICaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=vPkxMihIVEBiIT6eg6Or2rV9dWFxtV5Oo1p7QGIIxfw&s=eMa-n20tUaZRRl5h_O9SBBjHaqDAlUF9XH0BsF38vdI&e=

Job Description
Our vision is to make drones one day able to navigate as birds or better
than birds, using mainly onboard vision sensors. To achieve this goal we
investigate how machine learning, novel sensors (such as event cameras),
and coupled perception and control can be used to advance the state of
the art. We are looking for motivated researchers to help make this
vision a reality!

The postdoctoral researcher in Computer Vision will work on perception
algorithms that use Deep Learning to achieve invariance and robustness
to strong environmental changes (HDR scenes, motion blur, illumination,
perceptual ambiguities, weather, etc.). Moreover, he/she will extend
current machine learning techniques on new, revolutionary sensor types,
such as event cameras.

The postdoctoral researcher in Reinforcement Learning for Robotics will
develop models that allow an artificial agent to interact with its
environment, in order to achieve some complex tasks. At the same time,
the agent should learn how to cope with high variability in
environmental conditions. These models will be built and tested both on
real world and simulated environments. The main application domains will
micro flying robots.

An up-to-date list of our current research projects is here:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__rpg.ifi.uzh.ch_research.html&d=DwICaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=vPkxMihIVEBiIT6eg6Or2rV9dWFxtV5Oo1p7QGIIxfw&s=uYh70epHzIz707jOPkF1pumI62CkeH3PaRf8dm32sjY&e=
For videos, check out our YouTube channel.

Benefits
The position is fully funded. PhD student and Postdoc positions in
Switzerland are regular jobs with social benefits (i.e., a pension
plan!). You will get a very competitive salary and access to excellent
research facilities (motion capture, 3D printing, a large flying arena,
electronic and machine workshops). Zurich is regularly ranked among the
top cities in the world for quality of life. Additionally, we have a
very enjoyable work atmosphere and organize many social events, such as
ski trips, hikes, dinners, and lab retreats.

Who We Are
My research lab, the Robotics and Perception Group is located within the
Computer Science Department of the University of Zurich. As of August
2017, our lab will be affiliated with the Institute of Neuroinformatics
of the University of Zurich and ETH Zurich. The lab was founded in 2012
and has made world-class contributions in visual SLAM, event-based
vision, and vision-based navigation of quadrotors, which resulted in
many prestigious awards, research grants, and media coverage. Our lab
has been many times in the in the spotlight of the international press.
More recently, we were on many news worldwide for our works on deep
learning for autonomous forest trail following and agile navigation of
quadrotors using standard cameras or event based cameras.

Your Skills
     - Passion for computer vision, robotics, mathematics, programming
and abstract thinking,
     - A PhD degree in computer engineering, computer science, robotics,
or related fields,
     - Excellent track record (publications in high-impact-factor
conferences and journals)
     - Excellent written and spoken English skills.
In addition, you should meet the following requirements:

**for the position in Reinforcement Learning for Robotics**
     - Proven theoretical and practical experience in solving
large-scale reinforcement-learning problems.
     - Ability to develop and implement complex algorithms efficiently

**for the position in Deep Learning for Computer Vision**
     - Proven theoretical and practical experience in large scale
computer vision, machine learning, and recommender systems' problems.
     - Experience in complex systems' analysis, including
multi-objective optimization and the quantification of uncertainty as it
propagates through a complex system.
     - Experience working independently in a shared machine learning
implementation setting

**Recommended:**
     - Strong experience with C++, Python, Deep Learning frameworks, GPU
optimization skills
     - Familiarity with tools such as ROS, TensorFlow, OpenCV, and Git
is desirable.

Starting Date
Starting Date: immediately but later starts are also possible. The
evaluation of the candidates starts immediately and will continue until
the position is filled. Check here for updates.

How to Apply
APPLY HERE: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__rpg.ifi.uzh.ch_positions.html&d=DwICaQ&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=vPkxMihIVEBiIT6eg6Or2rV9dWFxtV5Oo1p7QGIIxfw&s=eMa-n20tUaZRRl5h_O9SBBjHaqDAlUF9XH0BsF38vdI&e=

You will be requested to upload single PDF including (in the order):
1. Letter of motivation (max half page). Please specify your strong
experience in "Reinforcement Learning" or "Deep Learning for Computer
Vision problems". Please show evidence with publications in strong venues.
2. Your CV (please include: your Nationality for visa requirements, Date
of Birth, your English level, scientific publications, hobbies). Please
include the publication list and reprints of your 3 major publications;
3. List of at least 3 referees (support-letter writers). Support letters
will be requested only if your application is considered. So you don't
need to upload them now.
NB.:. Please include your homepage and link to videos if available. The
letter of motivation should comment on the required skills mentioned in
the bullet point list above. In case of positive feedback, you will be
contacted within 4 weeks from your application. If not positive, you
won't hear back.

Contact