[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Research Scientist positions at Amazon Robotics in Boston

Joey Durham joey.durham at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 14:07:38 PDT 2017

Are you inspired by invention? Is problem solving through teamwork in your
DNA? Do you like the idea of seeing how your work impacts the bigger
picture? Answer yes to any of these and you’ll fit right in here at Amazon
Robotics. We are a smart team of doers that work passionately to apply
cutting edge advances in robotics and software to solve real-world
challenges that will transform our customers’ experiences in ways we can’t
even image yet. We invent new improvements every day. We are Amazon
Robotics and we will give you the tools and support you need to invent with
us in ways that are rewarding, fulfilling and fun.

Position Overview:

The Research and Advanced Development team at Amazon Robotics is seeking
passionate and talented research scientists to work on cutting edge
algorithms to drive the world’s largest coordinated fleet of mobile robots.
Our team works on challenging and high-impact projects, including planning
how to complete a million orders a day, coordinating the motion of
thousands of robots, and learning how to grasp all the products Amazon
sells. Candidates with backgrounds in resource allocation, discrete
optimization, search, planning and scheduling, machine learning, and/or
control systems are encouraged to apply. The ideal candidates for these
positions will be familiar with algorithms at both the theoretical and
implementation levels. You will be challenged intellectually and have a
good time while you are at it!

Qualifications:

* PhD in Computer Science, Engineering, Machine Learning, Operations
Research or similar
* At least three years of relevant academic research or industry experience
in developing algorithms
* Depth and breadth in state-of-the-art approaches for at least one of
resource allocation, optimization, planning or machine learning
* Ability to develop system prototypes in simulation
* Drive to see projects through from research concept to working production
software
* A working knowledge of analysis of algorithms and computational complexity
* Fluency in at least one statistical software package such as R, Stata,
Matlab
* Scientific mindset and the ability to invent, a track record of thought
leadership and contributions that have advanced the field
* Excellent creative problem solving skills
* Experience with programming languages such as Java, C++, Python

Additional Skills:

* Superior communication and data presentation skills
* Demonstrated ability to lead research projects and identify fruitful
research directions
* Demonstrated ability to work on cross-functional teams
* Experience writing production or library code
* Understanding of big data computing frameworks (Hadoop, Spark, etc) and
Amazon Web Services
* Experience with optimization software packages such as Xpress, CPLEX,
Gurobi

Chris Buganski
Sr. Technical Recruiter
buganski at amazon.com