[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] 1st Call for Papers: The Foundations of Situated and Multimodal Communication

Rachid Alami Rachid.Alami at laas.fr
Tue May 2 01:56:54 PDT 2017

The Foundations of Situated and Multimodal Communication
1st Call for Papers

Workshop at the International Conference on Computational Semantics (IWCS)
September 19, 2017
Montpellier, France

WORKSHOP DESCRIPTION AND TOPICS
===============================

We invite submissions on  foundational, conceptual, and practical issues involving situated and multimodal communication. Relevant questions include but are not limited to:

-What is the nature of the non-linguistic context?
-What is the range of ways that gesture and speech exploit the non-linguistic context and how do they exploit it differently?
-What are the practical and/or computational advantages in using non-linguistic context to convey meaning?
-How can we measure the effects of non-linguistic context on meaning?
-How do we exploit corpora to address the task of analysing multimodal communication?
-How should we model agents for human-robot interactions?
-Should we ensure that interlocutors' vision of the external world is coherent? If so, how do we do this?
-How do we model cases in which different interlocutors adopt different perspectives on the same non-linguistic context?
-How do we handle the need to disambiguate a message?

INVITED SPEAKERS
=================

Cynthia Matuszek, University of Maryland, Baltimore County
Siddharth Narayanaswamy, University of Oxford

IMPORTANT DATES
================

Deadline for submission: 13 July 2017
Notification of acceptance: 7 August 2017
Deadline for camera-ready version: 4 September 2017
Workshop Date: 19 September 2017

SUBMISSION
==============

We invite anonymized submissions of 5 pages (excluding references). Because accepted workshop papers will be published together with the general program papers, we ask you to follow the formatting guidelines for the IWCS general program:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.lirmm.fr_iwcs2017_iwcs-5Finstructions.php&d=DwIFAg&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=opcoX_doYDFSxGvsFEqBcOusxRlpMrC7Z5kRtk-QCSQ&s=5csHoxNhpCuA_IF6UYTQXNR1d1_TVvLzjeFnIWynSLs&e=

Papers should be submitted through EasyChair: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__easychair.org_conferences_-3Fconf-3Diwcs2017&d=DwIFAg&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=opcoX_doYDFSxGvsFEqBcOusxRlpMrC7Z5kRtk-QCSQ&s=ptOOShquXYme3FTuPXCMqR1Z_j1UfGZOVVTvgGBZyF0&e=

For each accepted paper, we will decide whether to have an oral or poster presentation, depending on reviewer suggestions and the overall workshop schedule.

MORE INFORMATION

For more information, visit the workshop webpage: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__sites.google.com_site_sitcomfoundations_&d=DwIFAg&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=opcoX_doYDFSxGvsFEqBcOusxRlpMrC7Z5kRtk-QCSQ&s=1gsGqKf68QoURPBCs4JEiulaxS9-6sDRS14Gd8sUUKk&e=

or contact Julie Hunter: juliejoanna.hunter at upf.edu

ORGANIZERS

Rachid Alami
Nicholas Asher