[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] CfP for RO-MAN 2017 Workshop: Mutual Shaping of Human-Robot Interaction

de Graaf, Maartje maartje_de_graaf at brown.edu
Tue May 2 08:30:26 PDT 2017

*apologies for cross-postings*

Call for Papers - The Mutual Shaping of Human-Robot Interaction

A workshop, held in conjunction with IEEE International Symposium on Robot
and Human Interactive Communication (IEEE RO-MAN 2017) in Lisbon, Portugal,
August 28-31, 2017.

www. <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.mutualshapinghri.com&d=DwICAg&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=0w3solp5fswiyWF2RL6rSs8MCeFamFEPafDTOhgTfYI&m=q8AhC6mPIKpwePjewvNwA6DoHFy1VbLVs93VbjLr5TE&s=CGxgcxPE2NXTjTd0g2q5bdAegfhSUdm2YsmAz-Em4xE&e= > mutualshapinghri.com

Workshop topic

The field of robotics has rapidly advanced over the last decades and shown
great promises in different fields. After robots were introduced in industry
decades ago, advancements in robotic systems have enabled them to
increasingly enter and affect our everyday lives. Nowadays, we see robotic
systems being introduced as assistants, team-mates, care-takers, and
companions, in diverse contexts such as education, health and eldercare, the
home, and in search and rescue. This development has started the discussion
on the emotional, ethical and societal consequences of the increasing
confrontations and interactions between humans and robots.

Studies in human-robot interaction have shown that, when robots enter
different contexts of our everyday lives, they can influence and change that
particular context beyond its intended use purpose alone. The term mutual
shaping explains the detailed process of technological design suggesting
that society and technology are not mutually exclusive to one another and,
instead, influence and shape each other. Society changes as a direct result
of the implementation of technology that has been created based on society's
wants and needs. The mutual shaping of technology and society approach
focuses on analyzing how social and cultural factors influence the way
technologies are designed, used, and evaluated, as well as how technologies
affect our construction of social values and meanings.

The decisions made in the design, adoption, use, and evaluation process
affect human's attitudes towards, uses of, and even their conceptualizations
of these (socially) interactive systems. Social norms, values and morals are
both implicitly and explicitly intertwined with technologies, reinforcing or
altering our beliefs and practices. Once a robot has entered a social
environment, it will alter the distribution of responsibilities and roles
within that environment, including how people act in that situation or use
context. Accordingly, studies that show how use practices of robot systems
and the social environment mutually shape each other, and what forms this
mutual shaping process takes, is crucial for the future development of
robots for broad societal use. This knowledge is required to inform the
design and acceptance of new and existing robot systems.

Call for papers

The aim of this workshop is to inform the robotics community and its many
stakeholders about lessons learned so far about the mutual shaping of robots
and society. We will focus on how social factors affect whether people
choose to use robots, and how robot design factors affect the social
contexts in which robots are used. We welcome prospective participants to
submit extended abstracts (max. 4 pages including references) covering any
relevant topic contributing to the discussion on the mutual shaping
effect(s) of robots and society. The goal is to discuss a wide variety of
contributions from the many disciplines and approaches that intersect with
the development and evaluation of robot systems (e.g. Human-Human
Interaction, Human-Computer Interaction, Human-Robot Interaction, Human
Factors User-Experience, engineering, computer sciences, (interactive)
design, sociology, anthropology, psychology, etc.). We invite a diversity of
topics from researchers and practitioners from a wide variety of fields who
address strategies and lessons learned about mutual shaping of robots and
society including, but not limited to:

*	Human-robot (non)use
*	Human-Robot interaction
*	Mutual shaping of robots and society
*	Evaluation of robot applications and contexts of use
*	Socially intelligent robotics
*	Multimodal assessment technologies
*	Design of robotics systems
*	Social analysis of robotics
*	Social cognitive systems

The manuscripts should use the conference format. Please submit a PDF copy
of your manuscript to  <mailto:s.benallouch at saxion.nl>
s.benallouch at saxion.nl and  <mailto:maartje_de_graaf at brown.edu>
maartje_de_graaf at brown.edu.

Timeline

June 1, 2017:                Submission deadline for workshop papers

June 22, 2017:             Notification of acceptance

July 5, 2017:                 Camera-ready workshop papers deadline

July 10, 2017:               Workshop program finalized

August 28-31, 2017:     Main conference

August 27 or September 1, 2017: Workshop day

Workshop organizers

Somaya Ben Allouch - Saxion University of Applied Sciences, The Netherlands

Maartje de Graaf - Brown University, USA

Selma Sabanovic - Indiana University, USA

Friederike Eyssel - Bielefeld University, Germany